We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
309 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

my husband and i are planning a trip alone while all 3 kids are at camp together for the first time. july 24-31, tho not necessarily the whole time.

these are 2 parks ive always wanted to see. it's 2 flights either way for us. anyone know both for pros/cons?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

Are you asking, on the Washing forum, about a National Park located in Maine? Don't know. I'm all for the Olympic Nationa Park. What you should do is go to each website, do some research, and just decide.

http://www.nps.gov/olym/

http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

Chuck...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

Acadia National Park is a postage stamp compared to Olympic NP. I personally don't think they're particularly comparable; Acadia is very small, not particularly "wilderness" in character, with limited wildlife and ecosystems. Olympic is enormous, mainly wilderness area, several ecosystems, lots of wildlife, glaciers, rain forests, beaches, lakes...

Close to Acadia you've got some excellent Maine coastal communities and scenery, and I think Portland (which would probably be your gateway) is a pretty nice little town. But ONP has nice towns close by too, and lots of day-trip excursion possibilities like Port Townsend, Victoria BC, lavender fields at Sequim, and many other things if you don't want to spend all the time in the woods, beach, mountains, valleys or hills.

For me, in July it wouldn't be a contest. In October, I'd probably pick Maine.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,848 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

The last post was pretty right on. Acadia is lovely, but not wilderness like the Olympics. The Maine Coast is rocky, On the Olympic Coast the forests come right to the edge of the beach. Maine as mentioned has some lovely seaside communities like Bar Harbor with lots of restaurants ,galleries and shopping not to mention a wide variety of kinds of accomadations. If those kinds of things are not important I would choose Olympic hands down. Glacieated peaks and ancient forests pretty hard to beat. Also Maine can be pretty humid in the summer although not as bad on the coast. I would also save Maine and say New Hampshire or Vermont for the fall.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

I never made it to Acadia, but I think ONP has lots of naturally romantic beaches and views. More than enough to do in 7 days, including some time spent in Seattle on the way out and back.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

Being a New Englander and now a denizen of the Pacific NW, and having been to both several times, I have to agree with the others and opt for Olympic NP. And yes, save New England for the fall foliage trip.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

Just popping my head in here from the "Maine" version of this post. (Thanks for the kind words voyaging). Looks like all of us are on the same page and gave NancyJL similar info. One thing I would add for her is to visit Kaleberg's page:

http://www.kaleberg.com

I found it helpful to us.

I was right, the DE's are great here too. You all were very helpful to us last year when we made the trip out to PNW. I only had to ask one or two questions because my questions were thoroughly answered by previous forum posts. We enjoyed our trip out here and look forward to next time.

Cheers!

7. Re: Which NP? Olympic or Acadia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:16