We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

Saint Louis...
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

My husband and I are visiting the Pacific Northwest for the first time. We're flying into Seattle in late June and we'll be there for a week. We plan to spend the first day in Seattle and then branch out to the San Juan Islands, Vancouver BC, and the Cascades. We'll have our toddler son with us, so we'd like to stay at one hotel/resort (aside from the first night after our flight, when we'll be staying in downtown Seattle).

Given those destinations, where do you recommend we call our "home base"? Are there great vacation spots between Seattle and Vancouver, BC? It'd be nice to come back to a hotel, resort, vacation rental or cabin with a scenic view. We know absolutely nothing about the area, so whatever tips you can give us will be helpful (including what areas to avoid).

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

What you want does not exist. This is an enormous area that is bigger than many nations. There is absolutely no central base that will allow you to make easy day trips to the Cascades, Vancouver, and the San Juans. These areas are far apart and/or separated by bodies of water that require lengthy ferry waits and crossings. You need to get a good guide book that will cure you of "knowing absolutely nothing about the area," never a good basis on which to plan a vacation. It is possible to fit in one of the San Juans or Gulf Islands, Vancouver, and the Cascades, but you would have to move. I would suggest basing yourself in Vancouver, visiting Whistler instead of the Cascades, and spending a night or two on one of the islands. Even better would be to pare down your list.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

Its only two hrs from downtown Seattle to the border so not many places to stay. Sounds perhaps like something in Anacortes might work for you, as that would allow you to go to the islands, or north into Vancouver. Nothing is very 'convenient' as a day trip however as your dealing with ferries and border crossings, so m oving will normally be the best at least for Vanc, Victoria portion.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,720 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

And, don't forget,you'll all need passports if you want to get back into the US.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

From your other post, I take it you've abandoned the San Juan Island idea. With your limited time, a good thing. Whidbey Island will more than suffice for all of you. And you really do not want to bother with customs re: a visit to Canada with so little time.

You'll be surrounded by water most places, though the idea of a resort, etc., with a scenic view sounds nice, it really isn't necessary.

I'd stay downtown, given your new itinerary.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 01:24
Saint Louis...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

Thanks! Yes, I think I was a little too ambitious at first, especially since we have a little one with us. I am very excited for this trip. Thanks for your input!

6. Re: Where to stay between Seattle & Vancouver, BC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:40