We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last leg of trip... need some help

Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Last leg of trip... need some help

I am planning a trip for myself and my 2 children (11 and 9). Two nights in Seattle, one night in Forks, day trip to Victoria, one night in Lake Cresant, 2 nights in Forks and last night in Gig Harbour.

On the way back it's Forks to Gig Harbour with a stop at my favorite beach in the world: Ruby Beach. What else do you recommend on the way to Gig Harbour?? Ocean City? We will spend the last day at Pt Defiance etc. It would be nice to break up a 4 hour drive with some stops.

Thanks in advance

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

I'm a little confused. You're spending the night in Forks before taking the ferry at Port Angeles? Why not save yourself the drive time and stay in Port Townsend or PA?

I think Forks to Gig Harbor is more than four hours. Have you stopped to see the Lodge at Lake Quinault?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

I have to say, I could not make head nor tail of this route, either. Janelje, I think this may be the reason you have received so few responses. Could you post a sketch of your itinerary?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Sorry had them out of order .. PA then Forks for 2 nights. Seems to be about 4 hours from Ruby Beach to Gig Harbour. Anything notable along the way?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

I am not a big fan of the area around Ocean City, and it is a bit out of your way. Lake Quinault hands down! Walk a couple of the beautiful nature trails among some of the biggest trees in the NW.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Boy did I hose up that first msg.......

2 nights in Seattle....... PA for one night - Hurrican Ridge etc ------ Day trip to Victoria------ Next night in Lake Cresant Lodge------ Forks for 2 nights-beaches, Hoh---------Last night in Gig Harbour------day of flight home explore Pt Defiance

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Your plan looks good. Where are you staying in Forks? Are you saying you are spending a day in Victoria and then the evening at Lake Crescent? Great place to stay, just seems a shame if I have it right that you will have so litle time at Lake Crescent.

Edited: 13 June 2013, 17:51
Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Staying at Huckleberry Lodge in Forks.. I stayed there last year. We will have little time at Lake Crescent but will try to make the most the next day at the lake. I still have to decide what to do when we're at the lake since I just drove by last year.

Are the trails at Lake Quinault easy? Since this will be the end of the trip, I am guessing the kids will be exhausted and we will need to take it easy. Perhaps will just do that and Ruby Beach and head to the hotel early in Gig Harbour so they can swim. Gotta live on Kid Time

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Glad you like Huckelberry Lodge. I recommend it to people. See what the weather is like at Ruby before deciding what to do that day. Yes many of the nature trails at Quinault are as easy as they can get. In two hours you could easily do a couple and they are worth the short diversion off of 101. The nature trail across from Willaby Campground has some gorgeous old growth Douglas Firs. A short trail on the North Shore Road across from Lake Quinault Resort leads to a 1000 year old record red cedar. Further down that same road is a walk through a lovely maple glade with pretty spring streams behind a ranger station. I often see elk grazing there. Google Quinault Rainforest for a description of trails.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Thanks glaciermeadows.... You recommended Huckleberry to me last year. This year I'm bringing the kids, since I loved my vacation last year. I doing some of the same things that I thought they'd like and adding a few new ones ie. Victoria. You were very helpful last year and have not let me down this year. I can't wait to come back!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last leg of trip... need some help

Janel sorry, I took time to read your name, and of course I remember you! Let me know if I can help you further! Did you make it to Sol duc Falls last year? I do not want you to alter your plans, but I wish you had another day. If you loved our forests last year the beauty of Lake Quinault is that it has amazing easy forest walks with big trees and waterfalls in a relatively small area. I was there last wekend and will probably return with my wife over the Fourth of July.