We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Map

Hello again,

Just a basic question for WA in general: what kind of map do we need for day hiking at ONP, Mount Rainier and North Cascades? Any suggestions on which one to purchase (digital and analog)?

Thanks.

seattle
Level Contributor
643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map

ONP; your choice:

http://www.nps.gov/olym/index.htm

http://www.customcorrectmaps.com

Craig Romano. 2007. Day Hiking, Olympic Peninsula [Paperback Book]

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map

I love my Trails Illustrated map of NCNP, and they also offer MRNP and ONP. It's the only map you need for day hiking or backpacking.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/trailsillustrated

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map

Thanks for your advice! I've heard positive reviews of the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps, so we'll go for those!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map

Trav pardon me for being blunt, but you are overthinking this.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map

Yes, Glacier is right. I have read all your posts, and you simply cannot get lost on the trails you have chosen. You are not doing back country hiking, and you will not be out at night.You seem like the last kind of person who would wander off the trail. I am usually a maniac on the subject of preparation, but you do not need any map at all for what you are planning in ONP. It's not that I am discouraging you from getting a map; it's more that I think the level of planning and worry you are putting into your ONP visit is excessive.

You need water, hats, food, insect repellent (and possibly not even that), sunscreen, a sweater or light jacket, and a small first aid kit. That's about it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Map

Okay, the message is clear.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map

Trav if you need directions to any trailhead and can not find that info on the Net like Washinton Trails Assoc. just ask and we can give you directions. As Kaleberg has said and I tried to explain earlier, you can not get lost if you stay on the tral. Winter is a different story. We are here to help you.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Map

No worries, I think we'll be fine after receiving all the info here. Thanks. If we run into any issues or have other questions, I'll let you know. Can't wait to go!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map

You will love it! I was on a trail two weeks ago in the Quinault rainforest talking to some people from the Netherlands. They were loving it and there quest was to see a different National Park every year. Olympic was not there first.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,545 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Map

My husband loves carrying maps on our hikes. At the major viewpoints, he gets the map out to identify the peaks, river drainages, streams, etc. He *needs* to know the names. He enjoys figuring out where everything is. If you're that type of hiker, then purchase the detailed maps of your choice. If you're using major well known trails you won't need those detailed maps, but they're fun to have and they're nice souvenirs from a trip.

I think my husband's favorite apps for his smart phone are all map related. When he flies, he has a paper map open on his lap the entire time. He's a definite map fiend.