We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day Trip....... Please help plan

Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
5 day Trip....... Please help plan

Hi,

I’m in Maryland and plan to travel to Vancouver, WA for about 5 days in mid-August. Will be travelling with my husband and 12 month old daughter. Since this is my first vacation with my daughter I do not want to rush around too much. We plan to visit Seattle and the national parks - Mt. Rainier or Olympic (Vancouver to Seattle and then to the parks as they are closer to Seattle) . Not to make things hectic we plan to choose one of them and stay for at least 2 days. From what I have been able to research people seem to prefer Olympic over Mt. Rainier. Please let me know your recommendations keeping in mind that we have a baby with us.

Here are my questions:

1) Is Mid-August a good time to travel to WA. I checked the tickets and they were cheaper around that time.

2) We do not plan to camp. Please let us know your recommendations for staying at the national parks. Are cabins a good idea with the baby.

3) I read Mt. Rainier is really pretty in August because of the Wild flowers, but it has to be a good day to visit it. Do you recommend we try and fit in a one day trip to Mt. Rainier too, is it a ‘do not miss’ attraction.

4) Are two days enough in Olympic, we just want to have a nice stay and soak in the scenery.

5) We do plan to visit Seattle but are leaning towards spending more time in the parks, how many days do you recommend in Seattle.

Please help me plan my trip, I’m having this vacation after such a long time, want to make the most of it.

Thanks,

NeeR_RG

Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

please reply

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

Why did you decide to base yourself in Vancouver? What research have you done about the area?

Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

We have couple of friends there, that is why we decided on it. And then we could drive to Seattle and go on to the national parks. What do you suggest?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

You want replies in only an hour? Relax... you'll get lots of advice, let the vacation begin now.

Seattle, two days; Mt. RNP, a very full day, including the drive there and back (to where?); ONP, the experts will respond. And yes, why Vancouver, WA?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

What research have you done about the region? What interests you in Olympic National Park? How much driving are you prepared to do?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

From Vancouver, you could visit Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument; plan on a half day from the Castle Rock turnoff. http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/ You cannot do both this and Mt. RNP the same day.

Most comments you hear or read re: park preferences are anecdotal. After reviewing the websites for both parks, and advice on TA, tell us what sounds best to you given your limited time here.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

NeeR_RG,

Am I understanding correctly - you have 5 days total for this vacation? Including the time you will spend with friends in Vancouver, WA? And you want to "Not to make things hectic we plan to choose one of them and stay for at least 2 days." And visit Seattle? Sounds hectic to me.

Olympic National Park is vast, driving distances great, accommodations limited, I am not sure it will provide what you seek for the time you have. Mt. Rainier is more approachable. I agree with Voyaging, 2 days Seattle, a day for Mt. Rainier, and that would be a good trip with your time in Vancouver. I am wondering, though, why not consider Portland, the coastal areas, mountains or Columbia River area? Oregon has as much to offer - and you are right there. Perhaps a little more information on why you are considering Washington's parks and we can provide more information.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

If you are planning to visit folks in Vancouver WA, fly into Portland OR airport. Much more convenient as it is just across the river from Vancouver. From Vancouver you could easily travel to Mt. St. Helens, Mt Rainier, the Columbia River Gorge and the Oregon Coast (which BTW if you have never been there it is a 'must see'. Most beautiful and spectacular coastline in the country IMO - Maine comes in 2nd)

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,088 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

I must agree with others above. - Head south into Oregon. Explore Portland, head over to the coast. Visit the wineries in the Willamette Valley. Etc..........

Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 day Trip....... Please help plan

Thanks a lot everyone, I really like some of the suggestions, specially about visiting the coastline in Oregon. Lots more research to do, already excited :-) Thanks again.