We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation 2014

newark ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation 2014

I am starting my research for next summer and I need a bit of help with planning number of days in various locations and then I will get more detailed questions. So we will fly into Seattle, want to visit Olympic national park, North Cascade national park, Mt. Rainier national park, Mt St. Helens and possibly up to Vancouver. We enjoy both city and park type vacations. We will hike, beach, wildlife viewing, photography, fly fish, sight see and enjoy the beauty of this great land! We usually travel mid July for 12 days. We will rent a car and stay in mid range type cabin, hotel ect. Is mid July least rainy! Yep I know rain anytime is possible! so number of days at each location would be helpful. And any other don't miss local action along the way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,013 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation 2014

Just to clarify, there are two Vancouvers, but when you say "up" to Vancouver, I assume you mean Vancouver, BC.

With ONP in there as well, and as you are looking at crossing the border anyway, you might want to look at a loop that takes in Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria on Vancouver Island. While these are three cities, they really just form the points of a triangle with lots of great parks and natural places to explore along the way. There are some good ferry connections between the points that make this a popular loop.

Otherwise, you have a lot in there to see just in Washington and you might want to save coastal BC for another trip. We can keep you very busy for at least 12 days, so come back and see us when you have more time.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation 2014

Even if you had 12 full days, excluding flight arrival/departure times, you might be overextended. Off hand, I'd pare back, starting with N. Cascades NP.

Seattle city, at least one very full day, 2 is better.

Mt. Rainier NP, ditto

Mt. St. Helens, getting there/seeing it/return to Seattle, a very long day

Olympic NP, experts will reply

There is so much to see here, I suggest that you select "Things to Do", top of this page, and consider them in addition to the above.

For an island experience, a full day: Whidbey Island is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl… On Whidbey Island, Ebey’s Landing State Park Dramatic, easy, trail, farmland to the east, Puget Sound and the Olympics to the west. http://tinyurl.com/3c8zrnc

Play with Google Maps; there is a tendency of first timers to underestimate the time required to get to major locations.

Here are some ideas for the Seattle portion of your visit:

Ballard/Chittenden Locks http://tinyurl.com/ixbu

Pike Place Market www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp…

Pioneer Square http://www.pioneersquare.org/

Museum of Flight A world class museum, for all ages. http://www.museumofflight.org/

Seattle Center (site of the 1962 World's Fair)

Woodland Park Zoo http://www.zoo.org/

Seattle Aquarium http://www.seattleaquarium.org/

Argosy Cruises (Tillicum Village) argosycruises.com/publiccruises/tillicum.cfm

Future of Flight and Boeing Plant Tour, Everett, WA

Wine Country, Woodinville After the Falls, go through the Snoqualmie River Valley (Rte. 203) and on to Woodinville for “Wine Country”. http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/

Edited: 17 July 2013, 21:13
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation 2014

I would consider at least two full days for Seattle and Vancouver. If you really want to experience what Olympic has to offer at least four days. Rainier could be done as a daytrip from Seattle, but IMO why get there and say "gee I wish we had more time." The North Cascades are a little hard to visit because you are so limited as to where you can stay, so again a couple of days. Then you have your travel time between destinations and checking in and out of your acommadations. So as you can see 12 days goes pretty quick. You could spend less time in these locations, but if I came all that way, I would want to make the most of my visit. You may want to consider dropping either the North Cascades or Vancouver.

Most visitors realize our Summer is between mid July and August, but I think July is better simply because August means more visitors. Early September can also be nice here, but I lived in Ohio and think getting away from hot and muggy mid Summer weather is a bit of a treat.

Just realized you included St. Helens, so you have more editing to do.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 21:23
newark ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation 2014

You all are quick! thanks for the information! And you are correct I may have to edit the trip with my grand plans! I know getting lodging in many National parks is booked up to a year in advance so that is why I am starting so early. Any locations which need to be booked early! I love Vancover B.C and can skip it but thought my sons who have never been would enjoy it. I am unsure about spending time on one the many islands in the area? Thoughts? we have done whale watching before so that could be skipped. We love the National parks! and explore a new one or two every summer. My husband and sons love fly fishing so I always try to find a half day or two for that activity... Thoughts . We will want to spend the majority of the trip in the parks with a day on either end in Seattle for more city time. We would be glad for less neat and more cool weather if typical at that time! Not a fan of hot, humid !

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation 2014

You should have no problem finding places to stay for next Summer. You did not mention the Islands, and I am assuming you mean the San Juan's. I almost included them, but you already had too much on your plate. They are very unique and worth consideration, but again you are going to have to edit or stay longer. When you say you have gone whale watching, do you mean for Orcas? What kind of budget do you have for acommadations each night. If you and your problem are into visiting National Parks, I would make that my priority! We are so lucky to have three that are fantastic. Rainier is by far the easiest to visit, IMO NCNP the hardest to visit because of lack of acommodations and Olympic has the most diversity given its location and size. If you decide on visiting all three of our National Parks make sure you give them the time they deserve!

If you want to stay right in the Parks a couple of lodges I would recommend looking at are Paradise at Mt. Rainier and Lake Crescent and Lake Quinault Lodge. There are of course cheaper options. There are several nice cabin rentals in the small town of Ashford outside of Mt. Rainier which are nicer than the rooms at Paradise, but oh what a location.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation 2014

Thanks for the reply, we usually spend 200-250$ per night. My sons are teen fears and we like to have separate spaces for my husband and me and them. The last 2 years we have found accommodations that are either 2 room suites or cabins with separate areas. Ii think it makes for a more enjoyable vacation for them and us to have some privacy. To be honest we need to get away from them for a while a they need to get away for us! Everyone is just happier with a bit of space. Traveling in a car and spending every moment with each other for 12 days can be a test of family bonds!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation 2014

I understand! That is why I asked there are some rentals that are a little more expensive, but provide added space. I will get back to you.

8. Re: Vacation 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 07:19