We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our itinerary needs your help!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Our itinerary needs your help!

We’ve planned a last minute trip to Portland and Washington National Parks and now I’m trying to work out a doable itinerary.

We are arriving in Portland for a 12-day trip next week. We enjoy nature and would like to do some easy / medium hikes while we are there.

Please provide feedback and suggestions to our current itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive Portland in morning. Afternoon Columbia River Gorge. Night at Troutdale

Day 2: Columbia River Gorge. Mount Hood? Night at Troutdale

Day 3: Drive to Mt Rainier. Night at Ashford

Day 4: Mt Rainier. Night at Ashford

Day 5: Drive to Mt St Helens – half day. Night at Port Angeles.

Day 6: Hurricane Ridge. Night at Port Angeles

Day 7: Lake Crescent? Sol Duc? Night at Port Angeles

Day 8: Hoh Rainforest Trail. Beach? Night at Forks

Day 9: Lake Quinault area trails. Beach? Night at Lake Quinault.

Day 10: Portland – suggestions?

Day 11: Portland – suggestions?

Day 12: Fly home.

I'm also posting this on the Portland, Oregon forum.

Would appreciate all must-see and must-do suggestions!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

You should visit Mt. St. Helens on your way to Rainier. Your Day 5, hitting Mt. St. Helens on your way to PA is poorly planned.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

Thanks!!

Checked the map and realised Mt St Helens would be enroute to Mt Rainier, so that would be on Day 3.

Do you think we are giving enough time to enjoy the beauty of each place without rushing through?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

It seems to be a happy medium between not moving too much and getting to see plenty.

In Portland you might stay in NW. NW and the Pearl district a very cozy. We like the Mark Spencer hotel. Good location and not too spendy.

Are you staying at Edgefield in Troutdale? It's a neat place.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 01:51
Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
200 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

Might be a tad out of the way but consider staying the first night in Port Townsend rather than Port Angeles. Port Townsend is a lot more interesting town than Port Angeles and a lot quieter. We loved the Palace Hotel. It used to be a brothel and the rooms have the girl's names.

Hurricane Ridge is more fun after the visitor's center closes. Deer wander through the parking lot.

We enjoyed the hike to Marymere Falls at Lake Crescent. Make sure you climb to the falls and don't stop after crossing the bridge.

If you don't mind a bit of a hike, Second Beach is absolutely beautiful at low tide. Prefer it to any of the more famous beaches.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

A pretty good plan. I am assuming you already have reservations. You will save a fair amount of time by visiting Rialto Beach as opposed to Second. the only place you are cutting short is Quinault. More to see there than most people think if they love rainforests and a great place to kickback. Spend the time in the Quinault Valley and not trying to return to the Ocean. Just my opinion, but I would skip Mt. Hood and another night at the Gorge. I love Hood and the Gorge, but I would save another day and night for Olympic.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

Meant to add, Port Townsend IS lovely. If you want to make the most of Olympic NP, however, stay in Port Angeles.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

Pala32 - Thanks for the Pearl District suggestion. That is now on our agenda for Day 11.

BuckMountain - Thanks for the tips - exactly what we are looking for! I looked up Port Townsend on the map - about 1 hour from Port Angeles. We might drive up there on Day 5, time permitting, spend some time there and then head to Port Angeles for the night.

GlacierMeadows - We have the option to spend Day 10 at Lake Quinault. Reading up a bit more.

LOVE all your input - it is helping shape our trip! Keep it coming!!

8. Re: Our itinerary needs your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:16