We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Dear Forum:

My husband and I will have 4 nights and 5 days to explore the Loop. We'll be driving up from Portland. We won't be doing a lot of hiking, just sightseeing, and need advice on where to spend our 4 nights on the road. Thank you so much for your help.

Sea_Squared

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

what time of year? the cascade loop

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Hi - We'll be there October 7 - 11.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

If you mean the Cascade Loop, I'd stay in Leavenworth and Winthrop/Mazama (Sun Mt Lodge is really nice). Those are on the dry side of the Cascades and you'll have a better shot at good weather. The larches will be golden and while you best see them via hiking, you'll see them under Early Winters Spires along the North Cascades Hwy and they will be gorgeous. Since you have so much time you might think about the Chelan area as well. Chelan hasn't been a stop I recommended in the past but Sunset Mag had a nice artlcle about the area recently, and the new wineries and restaurants that have popped up, and I think it might be a nice stop in October.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Yes, the Cascade Loop. Thank you.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Christy, we checked out Lake Chelan 2 Saturdays ago on the way from Winthrop to Yakima. We couldn't believe how booming and busy this area was. For a minute I thought we were visiting Lake Tahoe :) Boats were everywhere on the water. We drove up the lake to Manson before turning around. We were also very impressed how nice the homes were overlooking the lake. We thought it looked like a great area to spend a day or two.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 00:02
Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Idea

Day 1: Columbia River Gorge. See the view from Vista House, Crown Point

go on to see Multnomah Fall. Have lunch in Hood River, cross over to Wa.State travel east on hwy 14. See Maryhill Winery , Maryhill Museum, maybe Stonehenge Memorial on to Golden Dale. There is a very neat 2 lane road that goes from Goldendale to Sunnyside throught Bickleton. Stay in Sunnyside wa. Have Stayed @ Best Western grapevine inn . Aprox 190 miles

Day 2: See some Winerys in the Yakima valley heading north to Leavenworth Stay there lots of fun restaurants & nice hotels aprox 130 miles

Day 3 on to Winthrop nice stop Check the for Ideas on Hotels . Aprox 115 miles

Day 4: West on hwy 20 over the north cascades. Should be fine in Oct but check with Wa. DOT. May be stop In La Conner nice town with good hotels & shopping Aprox 150 miles or stay in Seattle 70 miles more .

Day 5 Seattle & back to Portland

Enjoy

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Thank you, Jalfan: I hadn't thought of going up through Sunnyside. That's a great idea.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
861 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

I find Leavenworth much too "touristy"

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

Yes Leavenworth can be touristy. but its fun & Oct is a great time to go there. Check the Leavenworth web site not sure of the dates for Oct fest.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best overnight stops for 5 days in the Loop?

We had designated Leavenworth as our lunch destination on the ride from Winthrop to Yakima. We enjoyed our couple hours there. The town was packed on this Saturday afternoon, but we liked the atmosphere.

The best part of our visit was pulling over for the Leavenworth Middle School car wash in our rental. They were raising money so the students can travel to New York and Washington, DC on spring break. It was a pleasure donating $30 for their trip and talking to the teacher and students. It gave us a very favorable view of the town.