We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle_Woods?

NYC
Level Contributor
7 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle_Woods?

I'm anxious to get out of the city and see the forests and the coast. Where can I go for a breath taking drive through the woods or along the coast….willing to drive up to two hours from downtown Seattle. Its going to be rainy, so no hikes but somewhere I can explore from the car :).

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle_Woods?

Drive to Deception Pass on Whidbey Island. It is breathtaking. Do be careful, though. The winter storm prediction should be taken seriously.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle_Woods?

You can not get to the Coast in two hours. If you really want what you are describing plan on an overnight. Also you have to realize unlike the California and Oregon Coast there are not long stretches of views of the Ocean.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle_Woods?

To clarify Glaciermeadows' post, the Pacific coast is a four hour drive west of Seattle, and the drive is not scenic. You can't experience the majesty of the coast until you are right on top of the beaches, and that's a long trip. Seattle is inland, along the Puget Sound. You can, of course, see the water there, but it's not the full Pacific. The great rain forests are also four to five hours away, and you really cannot experience them from a car. On the other hand, there are many scenic places within a two hour drive of Seattle, just not the coast or the great forests.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,672 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle_Woods?

i think the Whidbey suggestion is good. Just take the ferry in Mukilteo cross the island. Stop in Langley and Coupeville. Then drive across Deception Pass coming back thru La Conner and back to Seattle on I-5. I was going to suggest a drive to Snoqualmie Falls follwed by a drvie the back roads to Woodinville but its harder to describe the route for it to be scenic.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle_Woods?

When would this be?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle_Woods?

Yes, to clarify, we do not call the shores of Puget Sound "the coast" because it's a system of fjords. The coast is the ocean. Deception Pass, Chuckanut Drive, Washington Park in Anacortes, a drive to the top of Mt Erie in Anacortes (you could do all these together), a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, a walk in Lincoln or Discover Park (in the city)...all are very nice.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 17:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle_Woods?

For heading into the forests, would it be a reasonable option for the OP to head into the mountains east of Seattle?

8. Re: Seattle_Woods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:19