We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

Hi,

My partner and I are in the process of opening a new restaurant in a midwest city. We'll be traveling to Seattle next week for a couple of days. we'll be staying in the downtown area. Is there any restaurants or sportsbars nearby (or the seattle airport) which uses ipads or tablets as a tabletop ordering system for menus? We'd like to see how it works 1st hand. Is there any other "futuristic" ordering restaurants there to visit?

Thank you,

Randi

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,668 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

a quick google search pulled up Blazing Onion burgers with I pad ordering. Here is the link

forbes.com/sites/…

there were a few more links but I have no personal experience with this company

enjoy Seattle

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

I know order-at-the-counter type places where THEY punch in your order on an ipad, then run your card on one and have you sign with your finger (Little Uncle in one). And I've seen sommerliers use them as wine lists.

Don't people go to restaurants because they want to be waited on? Or maybe you are talking about more of a fast food type thing.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

I know of 2 coffee shops which use iPads as their cash register/credit card authorization/order entry device.

Moore Hotel Coffee Shop (downtown)* https://www.facebook.com/MooreCoffeeShop

Broadcast Coffee (Capitol Hill) broadcastcoffee.com/public_html/welcome.html…

* Note: don't let the pictures fool you. This is one of the tiniest coffee shops I've been inside of in Seattle.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

Hi Randi,

The current movement that we see with POS systems is to move to iPad based systems. These tie into Square payment systems (or similar) and provide a POS app, long with the credit card processing system. I am not super familiar with the actual retail ticket management systems that are out there.

iPad menus are not super popular, but there is one bar downtown that I think has this type of system: Von's 1000 Spirits. It's located right downtown.

From my personal perspective, I think that iPad menus are a bit gimmicky. They could work in a situation like a kaiten sushi restaurant that is primarily self-serve, but a high quality menu is one of those touches that puts a restaurant in a higher category. The worst type of menu are peeling laminated menus: They tell you that nothing has changed in years (and nothing is planned to change either). Dirty, dented paper menus are the next worst, followed by office paper anything... but crisp, fresh linen paper menus with seasonal offerings is a mark that the restaurant is top notch. Westward, if you have a car while you are here, is a nice example. Plus, I have to wonder about maintenance on a fleet of iPads in a restaurant/spill prone environment.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

Thank you for the reply. We are on the fence about this one. We had a good experience with a similar system in a New York restaurant.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

What did you do if you questions about a menu item or needed to make a substitution or special request?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

A local bakery/coffee house I frequent uses an iPad for payment - the clerk keys in the order, then the customer completes the payment on the iPad. I must admit, the other day I ordered a coffee and several pastries to go, and the screen automatically came up to select a tip 20%, 15%, 10% or no tip and I had to select one of the choices before it completed payment. While I like to tip well, for my to-go order that had a coffee + 8 croissants, the "suggested" tip of 20% seemed a bit much and was a turn-off to me as a customer.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

You can either order through the system or the waiter. We found it to be less intrusive.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

IslandGrl, I agree. I always hate that the percentages are a little off. I think that is actually something they can set to whatever they want (so 12%, 15%, 18% should be possible).

Randi, what type of place are you opening up? Just out of curiosity? I mean, if it's a big box suburban mall eatery (like Buffalo Wild Wings), then I could see iPads. They make sense because there are tons of tables and not much wait staff, and they are always running around like crazy. On the other hand, if you are going upscale the last thing I want at my table is a bright screen and no personal service. I tend to find that "intrusive" service is a product of lack of experience... Good servers are like kuroko (Running crew in Japanese Kabuki. They dress in black and are not seen, but their work makes the play happen).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ipad or tablet menus ordering in a restaurant

This Speciality's has iPad Kiosks, i akways order only using the iPads. I like that it remembers my favorites abd recent orders when i swipe the same credit card

www.specialtys.com/Location.aspx?Store=SE10