We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to spokane

Taylorsville, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Seattle to spokane

I will be driving from Seattle to Spokane in early January. Is there a good route that does not include going through Snoqualmish pass?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to spokane

Snoqualmie is the lowest of the Cascade mountain passes. You can avoid mountain passes only by traveling south to the Columbia River, through the Columbia Gorge, then back north once you're east of the Cascades. But it's worth noting that winter weather can make travel through the Gorge just as unpleasant (sometimes more so) than over the mountains - one can get freezing rain and "ice storms" in the Gorge that make Snoqualmie look like child's play.

Of course that route also takes a lot longer than using I-90.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to spokane

Just check the weather forecast and road conditions before you start out. Most of the time, I-90 will be fine.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to spokane

Snoqualmie is the easiest pass - the other one I use is closed in the winter and takes longer. Where you trying to avoid / worried about going across a pass? If you don't want to put chains on (there will be signs if the are required that day) there are places that will put them on for you for about $15 and places on the other side what will take them off.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to spokane

Phil could you fly into Spokane instead of Seattle since you're coming here anyway. What is your itinerary for your trip? If staying in Seattle for a few days could you then just fly into Spokane it's so much better to do that in the dead of the winter.

ibgardyloo is right about taking the gorge route it can be bad too.

I use to drive to Seattle every month for 12 years for work but I'd hop the plane in the winter.

Collie

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to spokane

There's always Amtrak: either a bus leaving downtown Seattle in the morning and arriving in late afternoon, or the Empire Builder train, leaving in late afternoon and arriving a bit after midnight.

Alaska Airlines fares seem to be pretty low for that route, if you don't mind flying in the winter in a turboprop, like the Bombardier Q400 pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Q_Series.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 17:15
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to spokane

Sutter, they do have the bigger planes from time to time during the day which Alaska air operates, Horizon air operates the smaller ones. I always tried to fly one of Alaska's but the timing didn't always work so Horizon it was. It's an idea for the OP and if renting a car it's cheaper over here.

www.alaskaair.com

Collie

7. Re: Seattle to spokane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16