We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Kitsap

newark ohio
Level Contributor
642 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Kitsap

We will becoming from Ashford toward ONP and I thought we might break the drive up a bit and stay somewhere in the Kistsap area......before we head to Forks for the next two nights of lodging. We will have spent several days hiking in central cascades, Mt Rainier and I thought some place unique, maybe b&b, ect to a chain hotel if possible near the water, 250$ budget wise. Cabin or suite you pick. It does not have to be fancy as rustic is great with us. A cute fishing town type location would be lovely.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Kitsap

It would help to know your itinery after Forks. I hope you chose a good acommadation in Forks. The easiest place to stop IMO on the way to Forks would be Lake Quinault. I do not know, however, if you are heading south after Forks or back by way of Port Angeles. This is crucial in answering your question. We need your itinerary.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Kitsap

You do seem set on odd lodging choices, Karakey. Kitsap? Why? It is not the cute fishing town of your dreams. Are you taking the route over the Hood Canal Bridge and along the north of the Olympic Peninsula? That will take you less than 5 hours from Ashford. Rather than stay in Kitsap - not a particularly good choice - you might consider Port Townsend, an attractive town on the water with many restaurants, shops, and lodgings. PT is known for its beautifully preserved Victorian architecture and for historic Fort Worden Park. By the way, whale watches leave from PT, if you have an interest.

Another possibility would be a vacation rental along the Straits of San Juan de Fuca, either in Sequim or in Port Angeles. Check VRBO. I don't usually recommend staying in Sequim because it is rather bland and far from ONP, but it has some beautiful places on the water, and you could visit the gorgeous Dungeness Spit. The best restaurant on the Olympic Peninsula, Alder Wood Bistro, is in Sequim, too. Port Angeles is only an hour and 10 minutes or so from Forks, but it has some good rentals, and it is right at the foot of Hurricane Ridge, a must-see. I know you will be coming from the Cascades and Mt. R, but, trust me, Hurricane Ridge is quite different. Not only are the mountains moister, mossier, and greener, but the views combine the mountains and the sea, to spectacular effect.

Port Angeles has several terrific B&Bs, including Colette's, Domaine Madeleine, and the George Washington Inn, all on the Straits in lovely settings. For rentals, look for something on the water at Place Road, or at Lake Dawn, a little pond right at the entry station to Hurricane Ridge.

Do listen to Glaciermeadows about lodging in Forks. It's one of his areas of expertise, and finding the right place to stay in Forks can be tricky as it is an isolated town.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
642 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Kitsap

Just the information I was looking for to help with my trip. I did think it was a cute little fishing town after reading in my Moon book. It described Port Orchard as "Maine like". . Quote " cute is the operative term at port orchard"

Lodging for Forks area is either Manitou lodge or Cabins at Beaver creek? Thoughts. we are fine with rustic and or unique. Keep it simple. Kitchen is a great help but not needed. 250 $ or less per suite or 2 rooms.

I thought the drive would be shorter and more scenic coming rt 7 from Ashford to rt 16 to rt 3 Vs rt 7 to over to rt 5 to Anerdeen and up 101 to Forks area. How long is the drive from Paradise to Forks. Is Olympia a good option then on to Forks next day? Again I am thinking the ocean would be nice to be near.

There is a method to my madness! I thought the drive of 5 hours was long for me as sitting is difficult and I thought I would shorten the continuous drive time. If I split it up how would you recommend? Where would you stop? I thought the coast has got to be better and more varied from Ohio! We would enjoy the water! I thought the views toward Seattle would be interesting.

I am totally open to the experts as you all have never steered me wrong.

If I came up to Forks it would help the Iteniary as we would not back track as we head to Seatac to head home.

Iteniary As follows. Sea tac to Seattle, for three days. Then Levenworth 1 night. Then Ellensurg one night

Then 2 nights Mt Rainier. then middle night? then 2 nights Forks. then Night at airport head home.

Yep so coming up from 101 would make more sense! But I am concerned with the long drive. I will want to hike ect while in Forks, Hoh Rainforest, ect. Thanks all

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Kitsap

You won't see much of the ocean if you go via Aberdeen. Unfortunately, the route is largely inland, and you can neither see nor sense the ocean for most of the way. It is also an ugly route that takes you past some of the poorest and most economically depressed communities in the state. If you want to come up to Forks from the south, follow Glaciermeadows' excellent suggestion and stay in Lake Quinault. This route is actually very slightly longer than the northern route I was talking about earlier.

Port Orchard is cute, but you would be better off going to Port Townsend or Sequim which would bring you closer to Forks. If you stay in Port Orchard, you will still be faced with a long drive to Forks the next day, so you will gain nothing. Also, if you take the northern route you will at least get to drive by Lake Crescent for half an hour. This is one of the few really scenic stretches of road on the Olympic Peninsula. You can stop, get out, and take pictures or take the 40 minute round trip hike to Marymere Falls. The trail head is at the Barnes Creek turnoff on the lake, and it's an easy but lovely little hike right on your route.

You may think a kitchen is not important, but think again! There is no good place to eat in Forks. Your best choice is an honest, but very rustic, burger joint at 3 Rivers Resort near LaPush. The food in Forks proper is terrible. Don't take my word for it; look up posts from visitors. Meals are like something out a 1950s frozen food time capsule. There is, however, a perfectly good supermarket in town where you can buy groceries to cook at your lodging.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Kitsap

From Ashford you will get to Forks quicker going by way of Aberdeen. It is an ugly drive, but it is the easiest. I went to high school and college in Ohio, so I can relate to what you are looking for. I live on the Kitsap Penninsula. I do not find Port Orchard worth the drive personally. I have to be honest with your schedule you are rushing Olympic. If it were me I would skip Ellensburg and Leavenworth and concentrate on Rainier and Olympic. Just my opinion but although the area is beautiful but Leavenworth is not my cup of tea. Again just my opinion, but I would make more time for the National Parks. Drive from Ashford to Port Townsend and spend the night there. Then you can drive through Port Angeles and have the scenic drive along Lake Crescent and maybe visit Sol Duc Falls on your way to Beaver Creek. Hands down inmy opinion Beaver Creek. I will tell you it is about 10 miles East of Forks. Manitou is closer to the Ocean if that is what you want. The setting at Beaver Creek is much nicer.

Your plan right now is too much driving and not enough time to really appreciate Olympic. If you reconsider and add the days to Olympic, then we can help you with ideas. Seeing just Forks and the Hoh is shortchanging a great National Park.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
642 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Kitsap

Thanks for the information. We are headed over to Skykomish for my husband and sons to white water raft with Alpine adventures on the Skykomish river. I will hike to Wallace falls area. We will hike various hikes along route 2 including seeing several waterfalls. I am interested in the hikes in the Alpine wilderness area. Levenworth sounds quaint but it is just a stop over for the night not destination point. Ellensburg will have boys fly fishing with either Woorly buggers or Red river ranch for half day, I understand the fly fishing is fabulous in the area. I have talked with several guides. I thought about fly fishing in Olympic but it appears the research I have found it is a bit between seasons and they are not interested in Ocean or steelhead fishing. I will horseback ride out of iron horse state park. I hate to not see some of Olympic National park! I thought three days was better than none. So now you see my delemia where to go, what to cut?

Edited: 08 January 2014, 02:28
newark ohio
Level Contributor
642 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Kitsap

Boy I already narrowed the trip down by eliminating North cascades, Columbia River gorge and Fruit loop! You so lucky to live in a beautiful, interesting state. Help me plan a few days in Olympic national park. this reminds of last years trio to Zion, North rim Grand Canyon, Bryce and Capital reef. I cut out Arches and Moab and was glad I had more time where we did go.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 02:40
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging Kitsap

Problem is you do not have a few days for Olympic which is a huge Park. This would be my suggestion, but again you are cheating your time on this unique National Park. You have so little time, you must make the most of your time there. Head from Ashford to Lake Quinault. Stay there. Daytrip from there to the Hoh. You could either visit Rialto Beach that same day and stick around for a sunset, or after the Hoh stop at Ruby Beach on your way back to Quinault. Spend the next day exploring the Quinault rainforest. It is just as beautiful as the Hoh, just different. It has record trees and lots of wildlife. Going to the airport from Quinault is a pretty easy drive and most of it is 4 lanes. Google Quinault Rainforest for places to stay and info on the valley. I know all of these places, so if you choose this plan, I can help you further. You already have a very busy schedule, you do not want to rush Olympic any more than you already are.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging Kitsap

I have to agree with just about everything Glaciermeadow has said. You really are pushing it, and I don't think you realize just how much driving and how little hiking you are going to be able to do with that packed schedule. Western WA is enormous, and ONP in particular is a highly dispersed park with the unusual feature that the road to access it runs outside the park through rather uninspiring scenery. One thing about Utah parks and the Rocky Mountain parks you have visited is that you get to drive through lovely scenery for hours. ONP does not provide these scenic drives. You have to make your way to one of the access points such as Hurricane Ridge Road, LaPush, the Sol Duc Valley, or the Hoh River Valley before you get to see anything beautiful. In many cases, you are practically on top of the beach, rain forest, or mountain road before you get any sense that it is there. The first time I visited ONP, I kept wondering where the scenery was. Then I reached a park entry point and realized what all the fuss was about.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
642 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging Kitsap

Boy we may have to forget the ONP part of this trip. I read several posts including a recent one about 3 nights in OPN and it did not seem as bad of an idea? I appreciate the concern for too much driving with my health issues. I am just thinking if I can swing the 6 hours from Ashford area to Forks, stay 2 nights and 1 night in Port Angels then head to Sea tac for the night that would be a good plan and no back tracking. Seatac seems like it would be closer from Port Angeles but I have no idea! I guess I could do the trip in reverse and go Seattle to ONP then Rainier then Central cascades and then Seatac? We could take the ferry across which might be different for us Ohio land locked folks. I feel pressure to book lodgings. I usually have my national park lodgings booked by No later than January. I am hoping the airfares go down! 550$ pp from Cmh to Sea!

FYI never been to Rocky mountiains but it is on my list! Help!!!!