We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vancouver...heading south!

Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Vancouver...heading south!

My wife and two teenage daughters are taking an Alaskan cruise from anchorage to Vancouver in early August. I was told taking the train was very scenic, but if didn't know how far I should take it. Our end destination is San Francisco. We have roughly 7-9 days for the journey to San Fran. I have never taken a train before so I don't know how it all works regarding getting on/off. I would like to get off at certain spots and get on a day or two later. If someone could explain the benefits and drawbacks, that would be helpful. For example, will we miss too much by taking a train rather than driving? We would love to see the sites, and stop at key spots to get out and get close to some things. Any help would be appreciated.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vancouver...heading south!

Check www.amtrak.com. You cannot simply jump on and off unless you have a pass or buy individual tickets between each destination. You do cross the Siskiyous at night so miss that scenery. You do it for the comfort, and enjoyment of train travel more than for the scenery. Prices can add up if you get sleeping accommodations (which also gets you meals and access to the historic Pullman car)..

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vancouver...heading south!

This recent (almost identical) discussion may be of interest to you: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28968-i73-k710977…

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vancouver...heading south!

there is one train to Seattle then you transfer to the Coast Starlight to SF. I'd get off in Seattle. If your planning to drive the Oregon Coast I'd suggest that as its spectacular. The train ride from Portland sounth isn't that exciting as it goes inland. I'd perhaps stay in Seattle, get off in Portland and then drive to SF along 101. If you just wanted to get to SF Amtrak is great. Once there its easy to do a day trip to Napa Valley, one to Monterey and Carmel or even a long day trip to Yosemite. Lots of options but we need more info to really give you an idea of what you may have in mind>

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vancouver...heading south!

See my posting on the Oregon Forum. Just some expansion on the previous info given here. By the way, the train crosses the Cascades (Eugene to Chemult), not the Siskiyous) and in August it stays light late enough to see most of the crossing, although the northbound AM views are always better).

5. Re: Train from Vancouver...heading south!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:18