We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

I am planning a trip for my family of five to the Olympic Peninsula in early July and plan to fish with a couple of charters. Are there any restaurants that will prepare our catch for lunch or dinner? I would like to enjoy our fish while on our vaca if possible. There are several restautants that do this in the FL Keys but I cannot find any online around the Olympic Pen. I probably gave up too quickly in my search! We will most likely be fishing out of Anacortes, Neah Bay and/or on the Skykomish River. If not, I will look for lodging in cabins so we can cook our own catch. If anyone can suggest comfy cabins for five that will be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Well, Anacortes and the Skykomish and Neah Bay cover a lot of ground among them, and only Neah Bay is on the Olympic Peninsula. I know of no restaurants in the northern Olympic Peninsula that will cook your catch. One of the reasons I always recommend renting a house when visiting this area is because we have some of the best fish, meat, and produce in the world, but you'd never know it from the lousy quality of the restaurants here. There are some really good restaurants in Sequim and Port Angeles, but once you get west of PA, good eating can become an impossible dream.

I can't recommend a comfy cabin for five because you don't say where you want to base yourself. The OP is huge. If you want to rent a house, there are many choices in or near Port Angeles, including some really nice places. The Forks area has some, too. Look at VRBO.com. Expect to pay for the privilege of staying here in July. It's high season, and lodging is surprisingly sparse in this region.

Nothing beats fresh, wild salmon simply grilled outdoors. A little salt and a little lemon are all you need.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Have you asked the folks that run your charters? It seems like if anyone would know, they would. It's not hard to find places that will clean and filet you fish (even my neighborhood fish stores in Seattle will do that) but I've not heard of restaurants that will, plus cook it.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Restaurants are prohibited from cooking customers' own products for (obvious) public health reasons, and I'm surprised there are places in Florida that would do so..

Edited: 14 April 2014, 18:45
Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Thank you all for your quick responses! There are several restaurants in the Keys that will prepare your catch. Ibgardyloo, I absolutely understand your concerns regarding heath risks from bringing raw fish to a restaurant, but we've been doing it for years, directly from the charter captain who cleans and filets it at the dock, with no issues (that we know of...) If you ever find yourself in Islamorada, check out Lazy Days. Their fish is delicious as well.

Christy1, you are correct that the fishing charters should know of restaurants that might do this. I will be asking them once I figure out with whom and where we will be fishing. Until then I thought maybe someone in this forum had info on this. Doesn't sound promising so far.

Kaleberg, in 2010, my wife and I took a very short trip (4 days) to your beautiful part of the world so she could see orcas and I could visit the amazing Hoh Rain Forest and Ruby and Rialto Beaches. Breathtaking. So much so that we wanted to bring our three boys for a full week vaca this summer. On this trip we will be starting in Seattle and I haven't determined if we'll go counterclockwise or clockwise around the OP. The Skykomish looks beautiful in pix, and that is an option for either hiking the area or charter fishing. Anacortes to see orcas with Island Adventures. 2 trips last time didn't disappoint!. Didn't go to San Juan Islands or see Cape Flattery or Shi Shi Beach last time, but we'll have time when there. And maybe fish out of Neah Bay. We will probably fish just once this trip, but if time and $$ permit, we'll try a second. Rialto and Ruby beaches, along with Hoh River Rainforest are musts of course, and then I'd like to spend a couple hours at Nisqually (that's for me as i like to photograph birds...the fishing is more for the boys). OH, and I forgot Hurricane Ridge which was unfortunately fogged in when we were there.

So, I'm sure you're thinking there's no way to do all of that in a week, but we are going to try!

Home Base and house rental would be nice but would be too difficult with the amount of geography we want to cover. Since it looks like we'll be grilling our own salmon, ling cod or whatever else we are lucky enough to catch, I'm thinking we should look for cabins near the areas we may fish. Salmon with salt and lemon (maybe lemon pepper) sounds great and my mouth is watering thinking about it.

Thank you again and I look forward to your replies.

Port Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Yes, you are correct that you have a lot of ground to cover and will spend a good deal of your time in the car if you want to see San Juan Islands, fish a couple days and go to Shi Shi and rainforest in a week.

If you go out to Neah Bay to fish, you'd be close to Shi Shi and Cape Flattery, the most NW tip of the contiguous states and a nice walk with possibility of seeing whales. There are several places to stay along HWY 112, Chito Beach Resort, Bullman Beach Inn (they both have kitchen facilities). I agree with one comment that things book quickly in July, but I'm sure you will be able to find something. The third weekend in July is Lavender Weekend in Sequim bringing about 40,000 people to the peninsula. That weekend may be difficult.

Here's a rundown of driving times that may help you decide where to stay and what you can reasonably expect to do while you are here:

It's about two and a quarter hours from Neah Bay to the Hoh Rain Forest.

Forks to the Hoh Ranger Station about 45 minutes.

Hoh Ranger Station to Ruby Beach about 45 minutes.

Port Angeles to Neah Bay about two hours.

Port Angeles to Forks about one hour 14 minutes.

Have a wonderful trip!

Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

Thank you for all of the info! As I was looking for cabins in Anacortes I found the Guemes Island Resort which at first glance looks like it could be a a very relaxing and scenoc stop with row boats and kayaks Do you know anything about them?

7. Re: Restaurants that prepare fish you catch (cook your catch)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16