We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for discussion

newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for discussion

Ok I have edited my trip and here is a rough draft of where and what we are doing and I would love some feedback as I fine tune this trip.

July 15. Arrive Seatac 5 pm. rental car..... Any difference in agency's? We have used all of them on various trips. Drive to Seattle....... Traffic concerns at that hour? Staying at LaQinita suites near Monorail in two bed suite....... Really wanted to stay at the Inn at the Market but couldn't justify spending the money for two rooms as we are traveling with two teenage boys. I thought the monorail would be a easy option to leave our car to get to the downtown area we want to explore. On the list for Seattle to do include but not in any order..... Pikes market, Aquarium, Underground tour, Space needle, Argosy cruise around waterfront, Pioneer square, International district, Olympic park, Fremont walking tour,

Eat......Ivars, Bambinos pizza, Top pot donuts, Red mill burgers and Pikes place chowder. The activities will depend on weather and desire with the boys. The boys like a local burger joint and pizza place. We will also enjoy local seafood.

July 16 Seattle

July17. check out of hotel and either do more in Seattle or head to Mikelto ferry to Whidbey island. Ferry tips....... Stop at grocery store along the way for cooler and supplies. We will eat breakfast and lunch from cooler and eat out dinner.

Fort Casey inn for the night, this place looks so cool! Whidbey island....Coupeville, Double bluff beach to tide pooling, Deception pass state park, kayak either Deception pass 1.5 hours or half day from Anacortes all depending on weather.

Eat....Front street grill, Shrimp shack, Ciao pizza, Christopher's on and or Oystercatchers Obviously we are not eating at all these places but I need to know options depending where we are and which activities we do. We may also hike......ideas?

July 18. Check out. I really wanted two days here but they are booked. I had to cancel my Olympic national park part of the trip and still wanted a beach, tide pool and kayak option and was thrilled to Whidbey island. Picnic lunch I hope we see wildlife, eagles, otters, seals and whales would be great!

More island exploring and head over to Gold bar to the Cascadia inn 2 rooms for 120$ total! What a deal. Drive via bridge and highway 5. Boy limited lodging options along rt 2! Hike Wallace falls state park. Dinner at Cascadia Inn or other options....... If weather is bad drive to Leavenworth and explore.

July 19. White water rafting at 9 am for boys and husband with Alpine adventures on the Skykomish river. I will be checking out, hiking Barclay lake trail....I figured its a Saturday and there would be plenty of others hiking. Pick the boys up, picnic lunch...... Where? Hike other options....Dorothy lakes, Lake Serene, Deception creek trail, Bridal veil falls. Again we are not hiking all these areas but these are on my list. .......favorites from experts? Drive to North bend to stay at Roaring rivers in Herbs place.

July 20 hikes along 90.... Snoqulalmie falls, Twin falls, Denny creek, Snow lake, Franklin falls,Little Si. Annette lake and or Boulder garden loop. We may do one longer or several short hikes per day. Picnic lunch and dinner ideas.... Frankie's pizza, Los canoes! or North bend bar and grill.

July 21 boys will fly fish with Creekside anglers guide. Depending on hatch, weather either am or pm. I will hike then we will hike as a family.

July 22 we will need to restock lunch meat ect so will stop along the way. Grocery store? .. drive to Crystal mountain resort for the night. Hikes in the area include.....Sunrise lake, Tipsoo lake, Emmons glacier view, Palisades lakes,Berkeley park, Shadow lake, grove of the patriarchs, Crystal lakes, Spray park, Rainier view, and Bouroughs mountain. We may take Gondola to top and or bike ride.

Horseback ride with chinook pass outfitters for three hour ride

Obviously only a few above hikes!

July 23 check out. Hike area. Stay at Paradise inn. Hikes on the list include....Bench snow lake, Narada falls, Box canyon, Silver falls, Skyline trail, Deer creek falls, comet falls, Nisqually vista,

July 24 Paradise inn. Hike, picnic dinner at the Inn. Need reservations?

July 25 check out hike, drive to Seatac via Ashford. Turn in car stay hotel with shuttle

July 26 fly home to Columbus, ohio......start planning for next year!

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Space Needle
Space Needle
14,650 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Fremont
Fremont
279 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Coupeville
Coupeville
Whidbey Island, WA
Double Bluff Beach
Double Bluff Beach
42 Reviews
Whidbey Island, WA
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Crystal Mountain Resort
Crystal Mountain Resort
171 Reviews
Mount Rainier National Park, WA
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Skyline Trail
Skyline Trail
231 Reviews
Mount Rainier National Park, WA
Ashford
Ashford
Washington
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Yes there is a difference between car rental agencies. Do a search and you'll see the price differences.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Also check into the option of picking up the car downtown after your Seattle tourism. Rentals from the airport tend to be fairly expensive.

I love that you have created a list of possible activities or hikes or dining for each day. Great options!

The ferry is from "Mukilteo" muck el TEE oh (first part rhymes with "buckle")

Do you have an America the Beautiful interagency pass? This works as a Northwest Forest Pass for parking at some of the trailheads. State Parks need a Discovery Pass or a one day pass.

July 18 ~ indoor option: Reptile Zoo in Monroe http://thereptilezoo.org/ If the weather is bad, I'm not sure you'd want to spend the day driving over Stevens Pass to Leavenworth & back.

July 19 ~ Barclay Lake trail should have lots of walkers. Bridalveil Fall is a fairly quick one; continuing on to Lake Serene is a much more challenging day. Parking on a Saturday afternoon may be the biggest concern.

July 20 ~ I was going to say that Snow Lake is a classic Cascades hike, but it's just so busy on weekends. I guess this would be a chance for you to chat with locals.

July 22 ~ maybe shop at QFC in North Bend.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Mukilteo
Mukilteo
Washington
Monroe
Monroe
Washington
North Bend
North Bend
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,834 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for discussion

you have a pretty organized trip planned. Coupeville is also where they filmed War of the Roses from yrs ago. Are you stopping at Deception Pass on the way to I-5? you'll be right there. Hwy 2 brings you to tiny little towns and is a pretty drive. You can explore the town of Roslyn which is where they filmed Northern Exposure for many yrs. Watch an episode and the kids will enjoy it. Visit the Brick Tavern and go by the cemetary. Quite interesting. It was an old coal mnining town. You could also take the ferry from near Coupeville to Pt Townsend and see the victorian homes. So many options but its nice your not doing just the usual downtown stuff. BTW its Pike Place Mkt. Pike is the name of the street not a person.

Mentioned in this post
Coupeville
Coupeville
Whidbey Island, WA
Roslyn
Roslyn
Washington
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for discussion

1. definitely make a reservation for dinner at Paradise if that's what you would like to do.

2. The Horseback ride at Crystal is wonderful. The gondola is a fun way to gain access to the higher elevation trails and views of Mt. Rainier.

3. There is a Safeway in North Bend too, and Safeway gas. Good to know if you get your gas discounts.

4. The ferry to Whidbey Island runs every 1/2 hour. Usually we just go get in line, sometimes we get on right away, sometimes we have a one boat wait, and it works. You are traveling on a Thursday, so if you arrive mid-morning or mid- day, you should not have much of a wait. There are plenty of grocery stores along the way to the ferry OR if you are a Costco shopper there is a Costco located right off of Aurora (HWY 99) on the way to Hwy 525 and the ferry.

5. Stop at Greenbank Farm and Whidbey Pies. Also

Mentioned in this post
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for discussion

My only comment is that traffic at 5PM will be horrific. The monorail runs between downtown and Seattle Center (Space Needle, Experience Music Project, Pacific Science Center, Chihuly, etc); Link Light Rail runs between the airport and downtown and is the cheapest and fastest choice at that hour.

I never pass up a chance to tell visitors that there is no "Pike's" Market...there is a Pike Place Market, however, and it is situated on Pike Place (duh).

Mentioned in this post
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1,277 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Space Needle
Space Needle
14,650 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Pacific Science Center
Pacific Science Center
1,679 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Pike Place Market
Pike Place Market
17,436 Reviews
Seattle, WA
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Thanks for the suggestions

Yep we are using monorail vs driving our car in

Seattle. I see the route on the map and thought it would save us parking ec

We will get car at Seatac as I don't want to drag luggage ect on transit and we will be tired from travel. I thought going into the city 5 pm would be less vs leaving the city. Hmm

Will make reservations for paradise inn dining.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Traffic will likely be bad both ways, the good news is there are carpool lanes on I-5 which help and there are no home Mariners (all-star break) or Sounders games on July 15.

Regarding rental cars. Remember that the rental car facility at Seatac is off-site, so you will have to take a shuttle to the rental car facility. Also, it is substantially different price wise to rent a car at SEATAC vs downtown. There are huge taxes and fees when you rent a car at Seatac (yes, we stick it to our visitors). Last I checked it was somewhere around 30%+ in taxes. You can rent a car downtown and then return it to the airport. That often saves heaps. Because you have a relatively long rental period, I would recommend doing a price check using both options to see if the price difference is worth it for you. You also may find it to be more reasonable to take a cab from the airport to your hotel rather than pay for two days of a car rental + parking that you don't need. Then pick up your car rental on July 17 when you leave for Whidbey. There is a Budget near your hotel, 2200 7th; a Dollar at 1900 Boren; an Avis at 1919 5th, or rent with Enterprise and they will bring the car to you.

I also wanted to comment that the La Quinta is quite different from the IATM - but I think you know that :-0 I think you will find it just as easy to walk downtown, than to take the monorail as that is several blocks the other way from La Quinta. Note that the monorail only has two stops - beginning and end. It is more of a an attraction than a functional mode of transportation. At the LQ you are very close to the Whole Foods at the Pan Pacific complex, a good place to pick up supplies.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 21:47
Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for discussion

A quick look at a rental comparison showed amazing results.

Avis, standard SUV (Ford Edge)

Seattle (1919 5th) July 17 to Sea-Tac July 25 = $642

Sea-Tac July 15 to Sea-Tac July 25 = $2,343

=========

Take a taxi to the hotel in Seattle!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Boy that is a huge difference! I had not looked at car rental yet. I wonder what taxi to hotel would cost us? So no problem returning the car to Seatac?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just what I needed

Will make reservations at Paradise inn for dining.

Anyone know if they have grills in any of the picnic areas of Rainier? I am unable to find out

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for discussion

Yup, it's a big difference. Car rental rates are through the roof.

Taxi or town car are $45-50 from Seatac to Downtown. And yes, it's ideal to rent downtown, then return to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington