We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Hi All,

We are planning to visit ONP this weekend. I searched in net the places to cover. However I want suggestions for this weekend what all we can cover? and is one day is enough? We are going to start from Seattle, which way is best to drive?

Thanks in advance.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

It appears you have one day so my suggestion would be to take the Bainbridge Island ferry from Seattle and then drive to Hurricane Ridge (near Port Angeles). Check the weather forecast first.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

You cant do the park in one day. Its too big. Part of the reason is you have to take US 101 around the park and then take spur roads into the park that is in the mountains, forests, or coast.

Unsure the sun levels are for Hurricane Ridge area of the park...if the road is open or if it is what the snow levels areup there. this is the high elevation part of the park. Rest of the park is lower.

Day 1 AM drive to forks via Olympia...stop by Quinault rain forest and the coastal stretch of US 101 then to forks and check into a hotel for the night. Sunset at Rialto beach.

Day 2 Hoh Rain forest in the AM, drive by Crescent lake and stop by the lodge for lunch. If Huricane ridge is open, you could do that in the afternoon. If its closed you could do a different part of the park. Then drive back to seattle to Kingston and then take the ferry across.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Start at dawn if only a day. If time permits, visit, for example, Port Townsend, Port Gamble, Poulsbo; Google them, see Google Maps.

You'll need at least two days to visit all parts of the Park.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 00:27
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Please clarify if you are spending the night on the Olympic peninsula. Otherwise I think there are better options for day trips.

5. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 01:55
6. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 01:55
Bangalore...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

And also can you suggest me, if Hurricane Ridge is closed what else I can cover?

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Since its long weekend I am looking for 2 days or 3 days trip... We are looking for small Hiking not bigger ones... :)

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Thanks for the nice plan Can you suggest how can I add Ruby beach and sol Duc falls in the Itinerary. You suggestions are appreciated.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic National Park destinations for long weekend 23 May

Which direction you drive depends on what day and time you leave and return. That way you are keeping in mind ferry lines and commuter traffic. Hurricane Ridge will be open. If you want easy hikes Lake Quinault and the Lake Crescent area fit the bill. My advise would be one night at Quinault and one night at either Lake Crescent Lodge or in Port Angeles. Ruby Beach could be visited on your way between Quinault and Port Angeles as could Sol Duc Falls.