We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

We are driving from Seattle to Portland on 7th June and want to do one of either Rainier or St Helens on the way. I understand there will be snow in Rainier but from the nps site webcams, I see some clear roads and I thought I read somewhere we may be able to see narada falls(not able to find it now)? My relatives are visiting Seattle for the first time and are more excited about seeing Rainier compared to St Helens based on the pics and what they have heard so far. I haven't visited either so not able to decide. We do not plan to do any active hikes, just walk around, take pics.

Is there a place enroute St Helens that has a good close view of rainier? that may be a good compromise.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

Rainier can be well seen from most places in Seattle, Mt St Helens hard to see unless you get up close, but up close is view of recent volcano. not really a close mountain thing. Think I would not risk trying other than Rainier giving their feelings

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

I wonder if there's any liquid water even flowing over the falls at this point.

I'd play it by ear - if the day is cloudy chances are the mountain will be socked in (or worse, snowing or raining) and if it's clear then either Rainier or Mt. St. Helens will be great.

However, you might also consider Mount Hood - with an early start you could have lunch in Hood River, head up the valley to Timberline Lodge, and be in Portland easily by dinner time. The views of Mt. Hood from the Hood River Valley, then as you approach Government Camp, are spectacular, IMO close to the equal of the views of Rainier you get from Paradise and the Stevens Canyon Rd. And IMO the loop from Hood River up to Timberline and back into Portland is one of the Northwest's finest mini-road trips. And if your relatives want waterfalls in June, the Columbia Gorge is THE place.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

We are doing the columbia river gorge the next day from Portland

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

A way to decide which to do......

look at the Mt Rainier Park web cams and see how visibility is there. Paradise (5400 ft) will still be snow covered. Longmire area (2700 feet) seems to have snow melted there. The falls are around 4500 feet.

St Helens have some web cams too from the main visitor center.

See which one looks better.

A route option......drive up I-5 to rte 503 (exit 21) and then drive south of St Helens then up National Forest route 25 that goes on the East Side of St Helens and to the east of the road is Mt Adams. When you get up to US 12 you could enter Mt Rainier via Packwood and rte 123. then take Stevens canyon Rd to Paradise. Off of NF 25 is NF 99 that takes you to the otherside of St Helens. Sometimes this road isnt open at the time of your travel and in some years it has been closed all year due to snow damage.

unsure on the status of the roads will be at the time of your trip

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

Unsure if the Forest Service Road is a good idea. I've not driven it, but do recall others' comments that it is generally inadvisable due to snow or physical condition for most vehicles. fs.usda.gov/recarea/mountsthelens/recarea/…

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

No, there's not a good view of Rainer from the route to St Helens. You guys might like taking the Crystal Mt gondola. You get great views of Rainer and lots of other mts, you can have lunch at the top...it's a good option when Rainer trails are snowbound.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

Sorry was out and did not check the replies earlier, Crystal Mt Gondala seems like a good option. How do I go from Crystal Mt to Paradise. Google is showing via 410 and 123, I see no restrictions for those roads in WSDOT site but want to check if it is recommended or should I go back to Ashford and enter via Nisqually

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

Go the way Google says to. It's closed Nov-May or so, but it's open now, so you can get through.

9. Re: Rainier vs Mt St Helens June 7th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:15