We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help!!

Mountlake Terrace
1 post
Save Topic
Need help!!

During the last week in August, my office is sending all of us from Seattle to Wash DC. I haven't travelled in decades so I feel like I have never done it before. First off, does anyone know if its alright to pack, in its original plastic box, a 4 inch metal fan? I need the noise at night to sleep + at times, hot flashes so I'd like to bring this fan with me but I don't want to cause a security scare at the airport with it.

We are staying at the Westin Embassy Row. Then, during the days, we have to attend meetings which will hopefully get out by 5pm. On one night, 5 of us would like to go see the Medieval Dinner Theater in Hanover MD. None of us are getting a rental car so I'm trying to find safe but decent price transportation from hotel to Theater and then afterwards, transportation back to the hotel. Can anyone please suggest a company that would be able to provide this transport safely and moderately priced? I've gotten an estimate from one company for a limousine rental and its over $500 alone for the limo and I'm afraid thats way too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 'cause this is probably the only chance I'd have to see the Medieveal Dinner live in person and frankly, this would help in our enjoying our week there. I grew up in nearby Virginia so I've seen all of the historical sites and also, have experience in the humidity.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help!!

It MAY be possible to take your fan, but only if you pack it in your checked bags. You shouldn't try to take it on the plane yourself. Unfortunately, the TSA doesn't specifically address the legality of a fan, but since you say it's metal, I would assume it's prohibited. Definitely prohibited if you take it on yourself, possibly not if you pack it. (Since the TSA specifically says swords are OK in checked baggage, I would imagine a fan is OK in checked baggage.)

I can't address your other question, except to say that Hanover is way out there and will probably be expensive.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help!!

I can't imagine any easy way to get to Hanover, MD. Hanover is actually closer to Baltimore, and if you were staying in Baltimore you could probably take an expensive cab ride. You could possibly take a Marc train to BWI airport, then take a cab to Medievil Times, but then you would probably be stranded there after the show. The easiest thing to do is to rent a car and drive there. One thing makes me curious, since Medieval Times is not even close to DC, what made you decide to go there?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help!!

Hello,

Medieval Times is located in the Arundel Mills shopping mall and would probably take you about 1 1/2 in rush hour traffic to get there (during the week) or about 45 minutes if you plan to attend on a weekend. I don't know of an inexpensive limousine company and there isn't any public transportation remotely close to it. FYI, the price per person is around $60.

My advice is to rent a car for a day and go to the Maryland Renaissance Festival. We go every year and it is WONDERFUL! The price is a reasonabl $18 per person and you can do a hundred times more things than Medival Times (they even have jousting competitions). Opening day is August 27th and they are open every weekend through mid-October.

Here is the website in case you are interested.

http://www.rennfest.com/