We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

York, Pa
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Is it safe to travel on the Metro, leaving DC around 10:30 PM on a Sat. night and traveling to the Greenbelt Metro Station? Are there better alternatives? Sat., Oct. 10, husband, 20 yo daughter, and I have tickets for Jersey Boys at 8 PM at the National Theatre. Considering driving to Greenbelt station, parking, and taking Metro. Did this yrs. ago from Silver Spring station in the daytime. Greenbelt closer to us - from PA an hr. north of Baltimore - and we know people who travel to/from Greenbelt station but always in the daytime. Planning to arrive at Holocaust Museum around 10 AM when it opens, do whatever time allows (Ford's Theater, clock tower at Old Post Office, shops, ???), eat, go to the show, and home.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

You should be fine. As with any transit system and parking lot, try and find a place near a light post and be aware of your surroundings. The Metro is safe and has police patrolling stations and lots. I would not have reservations parking at a Metro station.

The other option would be to drive downtown to park. Some lots have special weekend rates. If they don't, it would cost you between $10 to $20 for the day, depending on where you park.

dctravel

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Yes, it is. You can find info re crime on Metro online

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

On a Saturday, I too would consider driving. Going the Metro route will cost you about $18 round trip incl. parking at Greenbelt, vs. max of $20 to park within a block or two of the National Theatre.

On a Saturday your drive in and out will be faster than taking the Metro, particularly after factoring it wait time for a train and what seems like perpetual track work on the weekends.

The area around the National Theater is also some of the most heavily policed real estate in the country (given the White House, D.C. Government building, Reagan Building, and FBI HQ all witin a couple of blocks), so you can be comfortable walking back to your car on Sat. night.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

In case for some reason you decide to go back to Silver Spring you should know that what was the bus station area/parking lot/taxi stand area is now a construction area and the nearest parking is the County run parking garage. I can give more info if you need it.

I would drive downtown also though.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

On a saturday evening? I will also echo everyone's suggestion that you should just drive into DC.

I will also suggest that you can park at the Ronald Reagan Building for $10 and walk to National Theater.

http://www.itcdc.com/about.php?p=7

It is a federal building with its security screening process, checking the trunk and under the car, etc. Takes only minutes.

York, Pa
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It sounds like a good idea to drive into the city on a Sat. rather than taking the Metro - cheaper, faster, more convenient. Plan to park at the Ronald Reagan Building - I was surprised it's only $10 on weekends - a short walk from the theater after our show which we'll appreciate at the end of a long day and with a 2 -2 1/4 hr. drive home. We do have some concerns about it being Columbus Day weekend and the National Equality March on Sun. and people arriving Sat. for that . . . planning to be in the city Sat. 9 - 9:15 AM so hopefully we won't have problems driving and parking (and finding a place for dinner without reservations).

Chicago
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Driving seems to be the best solution for you because you will probably spend more money on buying everyone's tickets vs case money (then again with gas prices maybe not). But the convenience of having your car outweighs taking public transportation in this case.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

I use metro all the time at night and have never had a problem. Good advice above to be on the lookout for what's around you and park in a lit area.

York, Pa
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Driving into Washington and parking at the Ronald Reagan Building worked out really well! Easy to drive to, going through security only takes a few minutes, a relatively short pleasant walk to the Holocaust Museum, and after the 8 PM show at the National Theater, it was great to walk across the street and around the corner to get to our car and head for home. And only $10 to park there for almost 14 hours! Thanks so much to everyone for the recommendations!

York, Pa
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Metro safe at night and to end-of-line stations?

Driving into Washington and parking at the Ronald Reagan Building worked out really well! Easy to drive to, going through security only takes a few minutes, a relatively short pleasant walk to the Holocaust Museum, and after the 8 PM show at the National Theater, it was great to walk across the street and around the corner to get to our car and head for home. And only $10 to park there for almost 14 hours! Thanks so much to everyone for the recommendations!