We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maybe not exactly a travel question but.....thank you

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maybe not exactly a travel question but.....thank you

Hi

I was traveling into DC at night on New York Ave NE/US 50 just before route 395 and I passed through an area where there were these bright flashes of light. What was this? Does anyone know? I had never traveled this road before. Thank you.

And again sorry this is not exactly a typical post.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maybe not exactly a travel question but.....thank you

I'm sorry to say that was probably you (or the drivers around you) getting a ticket. There is a speed camera installed on that stretch of road, and when someone goes through the area beneath the camera at more than about 7 mph over the limit, the camera flashes to take a picture of your license plate. Sometimes it flashes and you don't get a ticket -- I've had that happen twice, so I wouldn't presume you're in trouble just because it flashed. But if they did "catch" you it'll show up in your mail box in a few days / weeks after they run you down through the Jersey DMV.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maybe not exactly a travel question but.....thank you

Yep-speed camera! The tip-off is a big series of parallel lines painted along the shoulder or out into the road. These are used to calculate your rate of speed.

3. Re: Maybe not exactly a travel question but.....thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 06:19