We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Every year I take a small 8th grade class to DC. We have always been selected to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. This year they are simply booked and we cannot participate. Any ideas as to what else we could do that would be a very special memory and honor for our students?

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

My eighth grade class took a special tour of the capitol. What about arranging a meeting with your senator and/or congressman. They may not be able to meet with you but there may be an office aid who can answer general questions.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Take a look at the Newseum for your class. I am a volunteer Tour Guide there. We have a lot of school groups come through. They genuinely seem to enjoy it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Thanks - we are planning on visiting the Newseum again this spring - we loved it! Didn't know we could schedule a formal tour? How much for a group of 25?

Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Thanks - we do plan to tour the capitol and I'll see about a special meeting with our senator. I appreciate the input!

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

If you have not gone to Washington yet, maybe a Spring tour? there is so much to choose from. You may not be able to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier but there is the opportunity to visit Kennedy's grave, or a visit to Lee's mansion at top of the hill. That was actually interesting to my kids. There is a trip to Mount Vernon, beautiful, the FBI museum (actually kids really like this), National Geographic has a hands on museum, a visit to the DAR (they have rooms that represent each state in the colonial period), kind of fascinating, the Smithsonians of course and the Mint was a place my kids liked as well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Thank you! I have not heard of the FBI museum? I'll check that out as well! Appreciate the input!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

There is no FBI museum. You used to be able to take tours in the J Edar Hoover building, but that has been closed down for years. There is a nice exhibit in the Newseum hilighting some of the FBI's most famous cases, and there is the International Spy Museum, but that doesn't get rave reviews-especially not by he locals if you read these forums.

The Newseum is great, but parts of it are quite dramatic and can be upsetting. The staff there is great and I am sure can guide an appropriate tour for 8th graders.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

Yes, the exhibit on the FBI and the media, "G-men and Journalists" at the Newseum is excellent! There are many exhibits and films there that would appeal to 8th graders (and others as well.)

I am one of those locals that is less-than-enamored by the International Spy Museum. My teenage son and I toured it in about 2 hours. On the other hand, I have been to the Newseum three times, spending a minimum of 4 hours on each visit.

Note: There is a wide variety of food at the Newseum's Food Court (menu developed by Wolfgang Puck) and everything I've tried has been really tasty. Plus, it doesn't break the bank and groups can even pre-order box lunches.

9. Re: Memorabe 8th Grade Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:19