We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driiving DC to NYC

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
349 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Driiving DC to NYC

We are driving to NYC after touring Washington. MSN directions shows about 230 miles and 3 1/2 hours. A friend who used to live there insists they are 8 hours apart. We are driving to get on a cruise and don't want to miss the boat! How long does it really take?

I also have a tollway pass permanently attached to my car from another toll system. Will it be a problem going through the toll booths up east?

Thanks for all the help on this forum!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

Your distance is close, but your time is very optimistic. You are not going to average 65 mph between DC and NYC. The high speed train just barely makes that. And with the traffic problems that are common through there, who knows. Certainly less than 8 hours unless there is a snowstorm or an accident that closed the highway.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

Both MSN and your friends are wrong about the time. The actual amount of time will really depends on the traffic condition at the time, but 3 1/2 hours is too short, and 8 hours is too long except for the worst traffic condition.

There are many buses running between NYC and DC, and they seem to average around 4 1/2 hours, based on what I heard from my friends who took them. Sometimes it can be as short as 4 hours, and sometimes it can be as long as 6 hours.

It also depends where your cruise terminal is, which part of DC you are leaving from, and what date and what time you start driving. The traffic in Manhattan can be really bad at times. One time it took me more than an hour to drive from Lincoln Tunnel across town to the 59th Street Bridge.

On the interstate between DC and NYC, we use EZ Pass which can save at least 1/2 hour from the trip.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

Yes, going into Manhattan, 4.5 hours would be a good planning assumption, subject to lengthening if you hit a rush hour, bad weather, etc. Worthwhile to know your options and get real-time traffic info headed into Manhattan in case one particular tunnel is backed up -- AM news radio (like CBS 880) and a map will suffice if nothing else.

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
349 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

We will tour DC on a Saturday and head to NY that night, driving some of the way and go the rest of the way in the morning. From your replies I think we will drove at least 130 miles and go the other 100 the next morning.

My question about the tollpass is that I have a Florida sunpass and keep less than $10 on it until we head there. I do not want NJ turnpile to take funds from it and have me in the red and send me a violation. Would they "read" it and pull from it? If I take it off, it would lose its value and I would have to buy another one.

Thanks again.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

Sunpass and EZPass are not compatible I doubt anything happens if you keep it on. I am fairly certain my parents would leave their Sunpass on the car when they drove from Florida up to NY/NJ.

You could email one of the systems and ask. I checked both of their FAQs and didn't see anything.

https:/…

https://www.sunpass.com/contactSunPass

6. Re: Driiving DC to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:19