We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport & Metro - in & too DC

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Airport & Metro - in & too DC

Many if not most airline tickets I see take me into Baltimore airport. I understand that this is about 45 miles from DC and there are several options into town. The two most viable seem to be bus service to the Washington Metro or train service to Union Station in DC. As to the Washington Metro I am somewhat confused as to options in regard to any discount / prepaid passes to purchase. Two of us will be there for 7 days in September. I also do not understand why there is both a "District of Columbia" and a "Washington DC" forum - is one better to post questions then the other? Appreciate any advice as to airport and Metro & I thank you. And no, I am not two years old -just lots of questions.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport & Metro - in & too DC

"I also do not understand why there is both a "District of Columbia" and a "Washington DC" forum"

That makes two of us. I think the most post under the Washington DC forum.

"As to the Washington Metro I am somewhat confused as to options in regard to any discount/prepaid passes to purchase."

There is a 1-day pass and two 7-day passes. Which is best for you depends on how much you think you will use Metrorail. There is no pass which covers both bus and rail. Another option is a regular farecard for an amount you think is appropriate.

www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,858 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport & Metro - in & too DC

The USA is divided into states, and so are the forums. Under the states are the cities and towns, like San Francisco under California. Well, the District of Columbia is like the state, while Washington, DC is like the city in the state. And most of the discussions are under the city, Washington, DC.

There are many topics on this forum about what kind of Metro pass or farecard or SmarTrip to buy. And there is no one answer. A big difference depends on where you are staying? Downtown? Alexandria? Another thing is how much, if any, you plan to take a bus?

3. Re: Airport & Metro - in & too DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 07:16