We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in D.C.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in D.C.

I might be going to a workshop in D.C. in a couple of weeks. I have always taken the train there in the past, so there has not been a need for me to drive in the city. I was considering driving in this time, since the car ride is the same length as the train ride. Is it difficult driving around there? I would just be driving to the hotel and parking there, but I don't want to even take the chance if I am going to have to deal with New York-like conditions!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in D.C.

Like any other big city, it's a hassle. Most people survive it. :)

It would help if we knew when you were driving in (time of day, day of week) and where you were headed to (which hotel?)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in D.C.

Oh gee, it is NOTHING like NYC! The burbs are bad during rush-hours, with the highways in and out of town clogged with commuters, but the Downtown area of D.C. more or less empties out when people aren't working.

I love early morning Sunday drives around Downtown D.C.-NOBODY is on the roads.

Like Irish says, give us specifics.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in D.C.

Thanks for the responses. I would be arriving early afternoon on Tues. 7/26 and staying at the Grand Hyatt on H Street. Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in D.C.

Well the rush hour times are a hassle, but in the evening (5-7pm) there is a mass exodus out of the city. I lived there for many years, you will get the hang of the patterns quick enough. As the experts above said, nothing like the chaos of New York. Great Metro system once you are in the city too.

Cheers

5. Re: Driving in D.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:18