We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

NJ
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

Arriving in Washington on Wed. We originally planned to drive but then decided to take the train from NY (it wasn't that expensive when you factor in DC parking). Well, Hurricane Irene disrupted our plans. We may now be back to driving since the train is not running from NY to Philly. I was really looking forward to NOT driving on this vacation and my nephew was looking forward to his first train trip. It doesn't look good for service to be back by Wed morning. A half mile of track near Trenton is still submerged in water and it seems unlikely that the water will recede in time for them to do the necessary repairs.

This is the 2nd disappointment for my nephew involving Amtrak trains - several years ago we were going to take the auto train to FL and 2 days before the trip there was a derailment. We had to hustle and find last minute airline tickets so the trip did not have to be canceled altogether.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

The problem with train service between NYC and Philly is that the station in Trenton NJ was completely flooded by Irene. According to an Associated Press story (…nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016055024_ap…), flood waters have subsided and engineers are evaluating the situation. I would call Amtrak this afternoon and see what is going on for you.

dctravel

NJ
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

Thanks for the link to the AP story. I saw pictures of the flooding yesterday - I am keeping an eye on the service updates which they have been posting twice a day on Amtrak's website. I am hoping for good news today!

Maryland
Level Contributor
558 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

Why not switch to a bus? Check out the Bolt Bus schedule at https://www.boltbus.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

Tonights Amtrak service update says the trains are running starting Wed from NY to DC. Thanks for the tips and advice.

5. Re: Amtrak DC Train - Need Positive Vibes (or a Miracle)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:17