We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

Kempton...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

My husband and I would like to bike the towpath and also visit DC to see the cherry blossoms. We would like to find lodging north of DC close to the towpath but with access to restaurants. Somewhere scenic and historic would be wonderful. Moderate price range would be goodl Which town would you suggest and what accomadations? What are some other attractions that might be good to visit? If you can direct me to a place on her that would provide me with good information, please do. Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

I have no help for you but you might want to post in the Maryland forum also

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

Did you try using Google, or another search website? That would be a great first step. I found this, for instance: http://bikewashington.org/canal/

I used "c & o towpath" for the search. You might be able to narrow it down for more specific information.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 16:40
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

The towpath starts in Georgetown and heads out toward Great falls VA and beyond. It is a wonderful ride. Georgetown is not the most moderately priced area.

I am assuming that you are bringing your bikes with you. If so, just stay where ever you would without a bike and just put it on the Metro to whatever stop and then start your ride. See the recent posts about bike riding during the CB festival.

Other attractions good to visit? check out the thousands of prior posts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

Actually the C&O towpath goes out to Great Falls, MARYLAND and way beyond. A lot of it isn't that close to towns where I would expect much in the way of hotels. You need to decide how far out you want to stay, and then ask the question, probably in the Maryland Forum.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

Here are the rules for bringing a bike on Metro: www.wmata.com/getting_around/bike_ride/

6. Re: C&O Canal Towpath/Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:18