We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
964 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

My parents (both in 60s) are stopping over in Wasington Dulles airport for a 10 hour layover, they arrive in at noon and depart at 10pm for international flight out.

What should they do or see, without them having to rush too bad back for flight out? Would it safe to say they need to be back by 7.30pm, and would they get stuck in traffic on way back?

I thought they should just walk around Georgetown? but they think "how do you go to DC and not see White House.etc"?

Any ideas or thoughts or good tours would be appreciated.

Keeping in mind they going to be tired after a 11 hour flight to get there.

Thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

they not into museums and things though...

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

"Not into museums and things." What ARE they into? What's the budget? Taxi would be $60-70 each way, I believe. Or they could take the Washington Flyer bus to the West Falls Church Metro and take Metro rail from there to, perhaps, McPherson Square (White House) or Union Station (for the Capitol). How would they get to Georgetown? I'd rather walk around the Mall, but I'm into museums and things.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 21:13
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

p.s. rush hour traffic will be a factor for their return to IAD. The airline will say how early they should check in.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

$60-$70 from airport to white house? They prefare walking around maybe a cool neighbourhood,hanging around nice areas areas rather than museums.etc.

I have never been to DC, so I dont know what its like, I imagine alot of museums & things, so I really dont know what Georgetown is like or how far it is from airport or White house.etc, is it a walkiing area.

They just want to kill time, as it would be a long wait at IAD.

is white house visit free?

It's sounding and looking like they should just stay put at airport, cause rushhour will be factor too.

Thanks Sutter

DC
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

How about they rent a car for the day? It'll be cheaper than cabs and they'd have a place to store their stuff. They could drive downtown (easy), park on the Mall (if that fails they could put it in a garage), stroll the monuments and take it from there. Leaving to return to IAD by 6 would give plenty of time. Traffic isn't that big an issue (most of the drive is on an express road for the airport).

Looking at the White House is free.

6. Re: 1st time in DC, what to do in 8 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:18