We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days to see Civil War sites

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Three days to see Civil War sites

We are visiting the States from Australia and have three days from November 12 to spend exploring Civil War sites around Washington DC. We will have a car so can travel where ever. Can anyone suggest a suitable itinerary or special places worth visiting. Many thanks in advance...

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
35 reviews
from US$49.00*
International Spy Museum
197 reviews
from US$21.95*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
3 reviews
from US$115.00*
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

I wouldn't recommend staying in DC for such a trip. DC hotels charge about $30 to $40 a day for parking, and most of the major Civil War sites are over an hour drive from DC itself.

I'd recommend treating this like a road trip and moving from place to place. Maybe start at Gettysburg and end at Williamsburg.

The Road Trips forum might be able to help you better. This forum is for DC-specific questions.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

Well certainly one of those day trips should be to Gettysburg about a 2 hour drive north of Washington, D.C. in Pennsylvania.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

I agree that this would be better as a road trip, not day trips from D.C.

Here's the link to a reply I wrote last year to someone who wanted to do a 3-day Civil War battlefield tour. I think it will give you a lot of useful information. Note: Be sure to click on the links on the Washington Post article under the "More on this Story" heading for info on places to stay and places to eat along the road. And definitely hire a Licensed Battlefield Guide at Gettysburg. (I've provided the link for that, too, in my response.

tripadvisor.com/…32777637

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

If I had to pick three battlefields within driving distance of Washington DC, I'd pick Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, Antietam in Maryland, and Manassas in Virginia. Gettysburg was the largest battle and the turning point of the war. Antietam was the single bloodiest day of the war. Manassas was the first major battle. As long as you're in Washington, don't forget to visit Ford's Theatre, site of Lincoln's assassination.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

No battlefields, but there are Civil War sites in DC.

http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/node/5683

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to the first response, I believe the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area to be more focused on the Revolutionary War, not the civil war. While there were Civil War related events in and around Williamsburg such as the seige on Yorktown and a number of sites related to civil war, I believe a majority of the tourist type activities in the area center more on the area's role in America's fight for independence from England and that era.

I agree with the other poster that Gettysburg, Manassas, and Antietam are probably the three I would put on my list of civil war sights along with a visit to Ford's Theater for it's historical relevance.

Keep in mind that November is not a "warm" month around here and many of these areas are outdoors, so plan accordingly by dressing warmly and realizing that your days will be shorter since many of the parks close at dusk. On the up side, since this is largely the off season for those areas, you'll have far fewer crowds to deal with.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

The blockbuster movie "Lincoln" will be in theaters Nov. 9, so don't forget to take some time out to see that.

8. Re: Three days to see Civil War sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:17