We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BWI to Union Station via Metro

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
BWI to Union Station via Metro

Just how complicated is this procedure. BWI website indicates I have to hop a shuttle to get to Greenbelt metro station. Is this a pain in the butt? I'll have a 6 yr. old who's a great traveler with me. Any other suggestions?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BWI to Union Station via Metro

I'm not sure I'd call it "complicated", but it IS a lengthy trip.

Depending on when your flight arrives you may be able to take a MARC commuter rail train from the BWI rail station to Union Station.

Details of your various options are on the bwiairport.com web site.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BWI to Union Station via Metro

I agree with Irishfan that this trip would be more time-consuming than complicated. But still, I've done it many times...it's pretty simple.

The B30 metrobus leaves from the baggage claim level at BWI. It's on the inner curb, so it's really easy to get to. There are signs outside that should point you to the bus stop, but if you are confused, just ask someone to point you in the right direction.

I would recommend printing out a schedule for when the buses leave BWI, just so you know how much of a wait you are in for. Also keep in mind that it can take awhile to get your bags at BWI, so it might take you longer than you think to get to the bus after your flight arrives.

Once you find the bus, it will go express to Greenbelt. At Greenbelt, you will need to buy your metro tickets to the station near your hotel (or wherever you're going). Shouldn't be too difficult, but with traffic and everything, it can take a long time.

As Irishfan noted, the MARC train from BWI to DC's Union Station is also an option. That would be pretty easy, although I've never done it personally. Just keep in mind that the MARC only runs on weekdays, and even then you should check the schedule to see if they have enough trains running at the time of day you will need them.