We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

On our next trip we will be staying near the CH Metro station, on the Orange Line. But we'll be spending a good deal of our time up around Columbia Heights, on the Green/Yellow lines. Coming back means changing trains at L'Enfant, as best we can tell. So, if the Orange Line is 20 minutes out but a Blue Line train is about to arrive, would you take the Blue and walk from Rosslyn or get out your Kindle and wait for the Orange? Safe to walk, say 10+ PM, Fri-Sat-Sun nights, a couple of 60+ folks? Thanks, and please let me know if I'm not thinking about this correctly.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

The route from the Rosslyn Metro station to the Courthouse Metro station is a straight shot down Wilson Blvd. and I would feel comfortable walking that route pretty much any time of day or night, so walking it after 10pm is not a problem. The distance is one mile, so it would take you however long it takes you to walk one mile.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

It's a fair question, as the distance isn't that far on a map. It's also as safe as any semi-urban area can be (which is to say, keep your eyes and ears open, but the crime rate is low). While I could see it being empty on a Sunday night, the other two nights people should be on the street even at 10 PM.

BUT, with all that said, I wouldn't recommend it. That's because it's a very up hill walk heading in that direction. If you're in terrific shape, and looking to end your day with a somewhat strenuous walk, I say go for it. Otherwise, yes I'd break out the Kindle and wait on the Orange line.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

Good information to know, thanks very much. We'll just have to check it out when we get there and see how it goes. We biked a hill up from Adams Morgan to Mt. Pleasant last trip. Would you know if it's steeper/longer than that one?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,377 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

That all depends on where in Adams Morgan you started. If from the main commercial streets, then the Rosslyn hike is much steeper. If from the lower exit of the zoo, then probably not quite as steep.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

It's a good couple of hundred feet of elevation change in about a mile. That'll be a far bigger challenge than any sort of crime issue since it's yuppie central along that whole part of the orange line corridor (of which I count myself).

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

Darrell: from ~16th & Vernon to 18th & Columbia.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

Well, that's a respectable hill up from Rosslyn to Court House. But it's not San Francisco or Seattle! We only walked down, but walking up on a warm summer evening is definitely something I would consider. With the wind & rain last week, no way. Also, there is a lot of construction around the Metro entrance and on the south side of Wilson Blvd.

8. Re: Walking Rosslyn Metro to Courthouse Metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:15