We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
331 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

I know it will be very crowded during this time but exactly "HOW CROWDED" is it? Is it shoulder-to-shoulder people walking down the street like at a street festival? I'm just wondering what to expect.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

When the blossoms are in bloom you will have big crowds there, and the Cherry Blossom Festival parade draws kind of the crowds you describe. But otherwise, no. The sites in DC are spread out enough that you won't find "shoulder to shoulder" crowds thronging the streets.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
331 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

We'll be there on the 7th and leaving the morning of the 14th so we won't be there for the parade. I'm happy to hear that it won't be too bad walking around outside. I know the museums will be crowded though. How bad does it get inside the popular ones? Thanks for your help.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

You won't find huge crowds along the parade route or at the museums, usually. You WILL find huge shoulder-to-shoulder pedestrian traffic jams anywhere along the Tidal Basin, however - in BOTH directions! Why they can't all organize themselves in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction, I'll never know. There'll be families with strollers (some double-wides), persons in wheelchairs, and bikers all trying to view the cherry blossoms at the same time as everybody else. Perhaps the National Park Service should start forcing tourists to use timed-entry passes, like they do for the Washington Monument, and when they run out for the day, that's it.

Potomac, MD
Level Contributor
171 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

The tidal basin is peaceful and quiet and you can have it almost to yourself even during the festival--if you get there early. I always go around 7AM before work when they're in bloom and it is gorgeous and tranquil.Weekdays are better. It's easy to park. If you're going saturday afternoon, it's horrible.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

I agree, avoid weekends and midday if you can, and don't be in a rush and it will be fine. There are also some Cherry Blossoms that sprung up in the general area, including over closer to the Washington Memorial, that aren't quite as swamped too.

The big problem I had when I was there was a lot of people were with big groups and rushed and seemed annoyed at the slow moving. Just plan on spending some time, sit down under a tree and have a drink and watch everyone go by. If you go in with a good attitude and laugh at the little kids running around instead of sighing, it's a blast and you can lose yourself in the beauty.

Also, as with everything else, the spots right off the parking lot are the busiest. Many people with kids don't venture far, so if you walk a little further it gets a little less busy.

6. Re: Crowds during Cherry Blossom Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 04:16