We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

Earth
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

My family was able to arrange for a Pentagon tour (through a friend-of-a-friend type way of my neice's school). I know you can't bring cameras inside, but has anyone actually been inside on a tour that can tell me what we'll get to see? Will it just be a bunch of offices/etc?

D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

That's about all you'll get to see - offices, corridors, military portraits, and display cases, led by a military cadet who does an amazing job of walking backwards! If anyone in your family had as an interest in military history, it'll be extremely interesting (do the names Omar Bradley or Creighton Abrams get them excited?), but a peacenik or conscientious objector would be extremely bored. Keep in mind that the building was designed to be converted after the war into a hospital to treat returning war veterans, so note the wide ramps, hallways, and lack of stairs in the building that make it very handicapped-accessible.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

DrWrong is correct. Although I have tremendous respect for the United States Military, I am not particularly interested in military history and found the Pentagon tour to be quite boring. Pretty much just your standard office building.

Cascade, Iowa
Level Contributor
425 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

We were actually scheduled for an 'official' tour when we were there, but we happened to be in DC when Reagan passed away in June of 2004 so the guide was pulled away for funeral preparations. Luckily though a personal friend has clearance for the Pentagon and was able to lead us on a tour herself. The inside the office was not terribly interesting, my kids were thrilled to get their very own ID badge, see the room where press conferences were done, and get into outdoor area in the center of the Pentagon and hear the story of the hotdog stand there. We were also approached by a security guard who was working with some dogs that had been part of the 9-11 search in NYC and were fascinated by some of the stories. We were also able to get in the memorial area where the plane struck the Pentagon and read some of the personal entries in a guest book of some of the people that were there that day. Very Moving!

Although you cannot carry a camera in with you, we were able to purchase a disposable camera inside the Pentagon at the CVS store and used that once we were inside.

Earth
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

Thanks for all your replies. I'd rather know ahead of time that this probably won't be the highlight of the trip, lol!

Washington, DC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

One correction: the tour is not led by a military cadet. It is led by an active duty member of one of the 5 Ceremonial Guards (Army, Marine, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard).

Former AF Honor Guardsman

6. Re: Pentagon Tour - What will we get to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 09:22