We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Thanks for your opinion -Tubman- and for the recs - (we love a good burger and also jerk chicken) but couldn't reply to your post (as the title indicateds)

Since you know the area - I was hoping you could enlighten me about the taxi situation. I realize that you pay by zone and not meter, but I'm not sure which zone our Inn is located in. Is there a website that shows how it is divided?

We will need a taxi from JFK and also a taxi to Union Station and (as I said before) taxis to come home each night after dinner etc.

Thanks. I appreciated your response.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

You can find a zone map at this website - (zones are valid for downtown DC only - you said you're taking a taxi from JFK, but that's in NYC, so I'm not sure what airport you're using in DC)

dctaxi.dc.gov/dctaxi/frames.asp…

If the link doesn't work, just do a google search on "taxi zone map washington dc" or do a search on the DC govt. website.

I think your hotel is on the border of Zone 2B and 2C. Hopefully someone at the hotel can give you advice on that. If it's late at night and you're on the border of two zones, just pay to go all the way to your hotel. If you want to be cheap and you're on the border (during the day), you could just ask the cab to stop at the border and walk, so you don't have to pay the extra zone.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Hi Mopsy,

Thanks for the info.

We are flying into Dulles (doh! - we are flying OUT of JFK as we will go to NYC after a week)

Thanks for the link. If the hotel is right on the border, how much more is it to cross the border (if I am making sense).

As the location is a bit "iffy" at night and the Innkeeper suggested taking a taxi home at night - we are looking at a lot of taxi rides. I'm wondering if renting a car might be a better choice.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

You'll see on that taxi zone website what the different fares are. I think it's about $3 more per additional zone. I don't think renting a car would be better since you'd end up driving downtown and paying for parking or wasting alot of time looking for a space. Most of the spaces have a two hour limit and you can't feed the meter. If you're only taking a one-way taxi ride home each night, I'd estimate that would cost you about $12-18 (with tip and add-ons), depending on where you are coming from in the city.

A taxi from Dulles to your hotel will be costly. I'd estimate about $60 one way. Union Station isn't too far from your hotel. I'd say that would only cost you about $12-$15 depending on how many bags you have, time of day, etc.

DC
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

The zone map only applies to rides originating and ending within the District. If you come from an Airport or go to an Airport, then you are charged by the mile. But, it is still better than renting a car.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Thanks for the answers. Just what I needed to know.

Is a taxi the best way to get to Bloomingdale Inn? I know that Super Shuttle works better in some cities than in others.

We get in at a bad time 4:25 - so probably won't get to our hotel until about 6. We really hate to spend the first night in the hotel eating Chinese order-in! How dark is it in Washington the middle of May at 6:00 PM? Still safe enough to catch a bus a block away - spend the evening somewhere and then taxi home?

Any suggestions as to neighborhoods? We like jazz - any kind of music actually.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

6:00 pm in May it's still bright and sunny. I get home at 6pm and now it is still sunny outside. You should be safe to walk around at 6pm.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Mrs. Maryland,

(Answering again, so apologies if this is a duplicate)

Thanks for replying and I wanted to tell you that I did read your earlier post, but my husband told me to LET IT GO and just stay where we have booked! (I tend to worry....but even with 5 taxi rides, we'll save a bunch of money)

Do you have a suggestion as to where we might go on our first night? It will be a Friday. We're so excited about coming there - and I'd just be miserable staying at the hotel the first night.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Which metro line are you on? If it's on the green/yellow line, I'd probably get off at U Street/Cardozo and check out some of the places on U Street. There are some very good Ethiopian restaurants, soul food places and of course, the famed Ben's Chili Bowl. There are many other places as well. Bohemian Caverns gets good reviews for jazz, but I've never been there. Check out www.washingtonpost.com and look in the City Guide in the Arts and Leisure section. You can narrow your search to restaurants or bars/clubs in the U street area and see what they're like. If you narrow it down to some places, post back for further suggestions.

Another option would be to go to the Chinatown/Penn Quarter area. That's very lively with several dining options. Not sure of any jazz places around there, though. That's more of a U Street thing.

If you're on the Red Line, I'd stick with Chinatown/Penn Quarter just so you don't have to change trains your first night. Not a big deal really, but just to make it easier on yourself. Again, check out the Washington Post reviews of restaurants and clubs/bars in the area. (Although I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from posters as well.)

DC
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

Do you mean you'll be staying at the Bloomingdale Inn at 2417 First Street, NW!?! My, you must really be brave. While I'm sure the Inn is lovely, DO NOT WALK in that area. Arrive and leave by cab. Don't walk on the street outside the Inn to find a cab, have them call one for you. I really hate to dis any part of DC, but that area is really on the fringe of the gentrifying areas of DC. I ride my bike through there often and the area is still rather gritty. Especially at night, DO NOT WALK ANYWHERE!

10. Re: Bloomingdale Inn - can't reply to the original post

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 06:22