We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight to London

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flight to London

I'm flying from Chicago to London Heathrow via Washington Dulles and am a bit worried about the whole thing. Is it easy for me to find where I'm going for my connection when I get off the plane? Its all with United airlines (both flights). Do I need to go through security again? What will happen to my suitcase? Do I have to re check it in? It's my first time flying on my own so it's all a bit scary! Please help?!

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,381 Reviews
from US$13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from US$18.20*
US$24.26
18 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,181 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flight to London

If it is all on United and on the same booking, it should be easy. The luggage will be checked through from Chicago to London. You will not need to go through security again. And your arrival gate will likely not be that far from your departure gate.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flight to London

How much time do you have between flights?

Springfield
Level Contributor
346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flight to London

This is an adventure. And, you are going to London. Lucky you.

Your passport will be checked in Chicago. Your luggage will be checked through all the way to London.

You will be in transit in Washington, D.C. The airport is not that large. However, keep in mind that you will transfer to an international flight from a domestic flight. This means that you have to go to a different terminal.

Travelling all the way on the same airline company will make life a little easier. There are United Airlines personnel who can help you. Ask them. I have sat on United to London. It is quite comfortable.

In fact, if things are quiet on the flight from Chicago to Washington, D.C., the attendants can check for you the terminal for your international departure to London before you land. Ask them sweetly. If they are too busy, you can check on the big departure screens when you disembark from Chicago.

Do you have your Oyster cards for the Underground yet? You can order them to your home in the U.S. if you have time.

DC
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flight to London

I really wish that people without a clue would stop posting bad information. Your arrival and departure will be in the same terminal (C/D). It's one long building. You simply walk fro your arrival gate to your departure gate.

Edited: 13 October 2017, 04:24
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,181 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flight to London

You may, or may not, have to change terminals at Dulles with both flights being on United. If you are a good walker, and you need to go from C to D, or vice versa, they are just the two wings of the same long building and you can walk from one end to the other in 10-15 minutes. Do not hesitate to ask airport personnel for help.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flight to London

Your passport will be checked in Chicago, so they can issue boarding passes for both of your flights.

Your passport will be inspected again at Dulles prior to boarding the flight to London.

You can ask a crew member on your flight to Dulles about gate information at Dulles for your London flight. But gates can change. You'll need to check the departures board anyway when you arrive. So, asking the crew on board is kind of wasting their time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,953 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flight to London

The issue would be the time frame between the flights.

Springfield
Level Contributor
346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flight to London

I just checked on United Airlines website.

Today, on October 13th, a United flight from Chicago is at: C9.

Today, on October 13th, a United flight to London Heathrow is at: C5

You walk from gate to gate. Bear in mind that gate numbers may change when you travel. Dulles Airport is not large or complicated.

Keep calm and carry on. Have fun,

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flight to London

Thank you so so much everyone! I have 2.5 hours between flights. I suffer from bad anxiety so it's all a bit more scary! Going back to home to the UK even though I wanna stay in the US forever!!!!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flight to London

2.5 hours is fine. You'll have time for a meal, a drink, some shopping...whatever.

Just walk off your flight and look at the board for your next gate. Even if it was across the airport in another terminal (unlikely), you can get there in 15 minutes. It will likely be closer than that.

Just get off the plane and find the gate. After that, you'll know where it is and you can wander around as you wish.

Just be at the gate one hour before departure, since you're anxious about it.

You'll be fine.

Reply to: Connecting flight to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted