We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 DC visit 1st trip

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marysville, OH
2 posts
Save Topic
July 4 DC visit 1st trip

Coming to D.C. July1 - 6. Family trip first time there for everyone, 5 people, age range 44-84, no special needs. No children. Just looking for ideas on what to do, where to go, big events on the 4th, fireworks. Interested in all sorts of things to do. Also any recommendations on dining. Planning on using the Metro while there. Staying at the Ronald Reagan Radisson.

Thanks appreciate all comments.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

For more info on 4th of July events in DC:

dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/4thofJuly.htm

or:

www.washington.org/index.cfm… Once there, click on "Independence Day Celebration".

As for where to eat--what price range are you looking at? What types of food do you prefer?

By all means, use Metro. Just note that on the 4th, it gets really crowded.

Marysville, OH
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

Thanks for the information. The type of food we like ranges from traditional american fare, steak and chops, Italian and seafood. We also are looking to go out a little upscale at least one evening. I have been looking at a restaurant called 1789.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

1789 is good but a little difficult to get to if you don't know where you are going. It's located in the Georgetown section of DC. Right at Georgetown University campus. It's nice but I wouldn't say it's a must go to place.

If you want upscale dining near your hotel, try

-Ruths Chris. It's a chain but its wonderful and you can't go wrong there.

-Morton's Steakhouse: just like all of the others

-Jaleo/Crystal City: Spanish Tapas if you like that sort of thing.

Other suggestions in DC and/or near your hotel:

-Georgia Browns (www.gbrowns.com) Southern/American

-Olives (www.toddenglish.com) Italian/Mediterranean

-Smith & Wollensky (www.smithandwollensky.com) Steak

-DC Coast (www.dccoast.com) Seafood

-Blue Duck Tavern (www.blueducktavern.com)/ American

-Corduroy (www.corduroydc.com) American

-Oceanaire Seafood Room (www.oceanaireseafoodroom.com)/Seafood

-Legal Seafood (www.legalseafood.com). Chain restaurant but decent and there is one in Crystal City near your hotel.

Also try using www.opentable.com for various restaurants and making reservations. It's a good way to look at menus.

Also www.washingtonpost.com then go to City Guide and go through the links to Restaurants and select them by location.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

I wouldn't count out 1789 for a special occassion. If you don't mind the jacket and tie requirement, I think this is a good choice for a more traditional meal. The new chef there is trying to add a bit of flare to the menu. A friend of mine ate there recently and really enjoyed it.

I would also second the recommendation for Blue Duck Tavern. The food is delicious, the atmosphere is very nice and it would be a fun place to go with 5 people. The dishes are served sort-of family style. You don't have to share, but they are served in a style that allows for sharing if you want.

Corduroy has wonderful food, but the atmosphere is a little lacking. If you go there, I would request a table away from the corridor. If you're in the back, you can forget that you're on the second floor of a Four Points Sheraton. (To get to the bathroom, you actually walk by guest rooms).

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

More recommendations for dining in Crystal City...

Bebo Trattoria - Roberto Donna's "simple italian". Some reviews talk of uneven service. The two times I was there service was fine. Great on a nice evening as the windows open up from just about floor to ceiling to give it a very open feel.

McCormick & Schmicks - My fave of the two seafood chains in Crystal City (the other, Legal Seafoods, which I also like just not much as M&S). If you get a chance to go into the bar for drinks and appetizers. They have a happy hour special that runs until 6pm. They have $1.95 select appetizers with two drinks. The mussels (the bar special ones) are terrific with lots and lots of great liquid to dip the fresh warm bread into. Hmmm, this is making me want to head over to M&S real soon.

Bonsia Sushi -- 23rd Street in Crystal City. Family owned and operated. Sushi is very fresh.

6. Re: July 4 DC visit 1st trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 08:24