We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

Are there places in Washington DC that seniors who have some walking limitations to see? Affordable attractions, bus tours? We do have a car to use and where is it possible to park that's not too far from attractions. Metro would not be an option. Would consider scenic drives too.

5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

Almost all of the attractions in DC are free—Smithsonian museums, art galleries, monuments and memorials, etc. The problem is that there is little-to-no parking near these attractions, so you would have to drop off those with walking limitations and then go find parking elsewhere.

You might take a look at the route of the Circulator bus. One of the routes goes around the National Mall and can get you close to many of the attractions. The fare is only $1 per ride (or 50 cents for seniors). Fares must be exact change as the driver cannot return change.

A narrated tour around the city is also an option, but it can be pricey. One bus tour which you may want to do is the hop on/hop off narrated tour of Arlington National Cemetery. The cost is $13.50 for adults and $10 for seniors. You can drop off passengers at the entrance of the cemetery and then go park in the nearby parking garage.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

Ho Ho Buses would be good in your case.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

Additionally, do not dismiss the notion of Uber/Lyft for getting from museum to museum, hotel to museum, parking garage to museum, etc. (Yes I know Uber waa hacked, but so has Target, Home Depot, Equifax, what's next.)

I used to think Uber etc was a hipster millennials thing. Then in 2016 my decrepit knee went and I was unable to walk more than 10 feet without pain. It eas 6 weeks till my knee replacement, then rehab visits...Uber and Lyft took me door to door stress free until I was ready to drive and walk distances. Same thing this year with my second knee. I am 67 and it is great for mobility limitations.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 14:20
Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

I think the Hoho bus is a good idea also, I don't think it's that expensive given your ticket is for all day. I cannot think of any attraction where you could be guaranteed parking right near it.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors

The HO/HO buses can work if you are looking for a narrated bus tour around the sights. But you’d want to stay on the bus for the entire route because once you get off, you often have a long wait for another bus.

If, however, you are just looking for a ride from place to place (getting off) or a non-narrated trip around the sights, the Circulator bus would be much cheaper than a HO/HO bus tour.

Reply to: Travel in Washington DC with Physically disabled seniors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted