We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

Traveling alone with teenage son in April 2018 to visit DC museums and monuments. Have never been before! Staying 6 nights so looking for good price on hotel ($250 to $300/night) but don’t want bargain basement experience. Love the look of new hotels at the Wharf, and the price is right, but can’t discern how convenient the location is. How long is metro ride? Websites say it’s a 12-minute walk to metro. Is it worth it or should I just bite the bullet and stay at Grand Hyatt in town that’s literally on top of the metro ($400/night-yeesh!)? We’re fine to walk around museums but I don’t want to add another mile each day just to get to metro. Also the Wharf looks like a good area with restaurants but we are not going for nightlife, this is a mom-son trip. Appreciate insight!

10 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

As far as pricing, I wouldn’t book anything this early... prices float on demand, so 6months out is a long time. If you are nervous about finding a place to stay (and you shouldn’t unless there happens to be some sort of major event the same weekend), book your rooms... but on the hotel site only... and DO NOT book a prepaid room. Check around again, even the same place, rebook and cancel, starting about 3/4 months ahead.... book only the cancelable rate until you are closer to your dates unless you find a really good deal.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,255 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

The place is brand new, so you're not likely to get a lot of first-hand reports.

Depending on exact dates in April you may be better off not dealing with crowds on Metro. The Wharf area is about 7/10th of a mile from the National Mall. So a 15-minute walk, maybe? Lots of dining options. Although many of them are on the upscale side, but a few casual places too. If you're lucky enough to be here when the Cherry blossoms are blooming you'd be in a great location to see them on foot.

I'd give it a try, personally. But the Grand Hyatt is also a great choice...

Keep in mind April is "the" busiest month for tourism in Washington, DC. If you can lock in something now, donut. It's never too early if the rate is good. As long as its refundable you have nothing to lose by booking now.

Edited: 02 December 2017, 17:02
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

The Wharf may not be super convenient, but it is not an out of the way area either. If you happen to be in town while the cherry trees are in bloom, you can easily walk to them. Ant the south side of The National Mall near the Smithsonian Castle is almost as close as a Metro station. There are a number of new restaurants there, but there isn’t the variety you will find downtown. The area looks wonderful, but it’s all new and not historic, despite the appearance. I expect you would be happy staying there.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

It's not too bad, you know what you are dealing with -- a half mile walk to the metro, farther if you walk to the Mall. you can decide. Other than that, you probably won't be around your hotel all day anyway, right, except maybe at dinner and that is no problem there. I'd stay there rather than pay $400 for the Hyatt myself. As long as walking .75 mile doesn't bother you that much because the Waterfront metro line is green and doesn't go right to the Mall, so walking there would probably be quicker.

There are some bus lines closer to that hotel, also, the no. 74 bus stops at 7th and Maine.

Australia
Level Contributor
877 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

There is also a free shuttle that loops from the Wharf to the Mall. I used it on my trip a month or so ago.

https:/…

Only comment I would make is that the area didn’t feel “alive” when I visited. Granted it was a mid-week day but the weather was glorious so would’ve expected more people there.

It is a nice location all the same especially being right on the water.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

The Wharf is a brand-new constructed area, not inconvenient location. But If you're not limiting yourselves to hotels, there are lots of vacation rental apartments in more interesting and convenient neighborhoods close to a Metro for as little at $140.00 total per night for a one-bedroom apt. with sleep sofa in the living room, even in the peak of Spring Season. With your budget of up to $300.00 per night, you can find lots of two-bedroom apts. but even a one- bedroom apt. will offer a sleep-sofa in the living room so you and your son can enjoy separate sleeping spaces.

Full disclosure - as other posters have requested - I do have a vacation rental apt. If you are lucky enough to find it among the 6000 available, you could be happy.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

Also, ChristinaW gave wrong information about the Metro Green/Yellow line. This is actually the most convenient line for the Mall, with the L'Enfant Plaza and Archives/Navy Memorial stations. Take a look at a map.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

Yellow/Green gets you there from south or north but then go Orange/Blue to travel east-west if you do not walk it

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

Just look at a map. Sorry, many people do post confusing information here. Just look at a map. It will show you exact distances. Look at the scale on the map to see mileage. The museums - the whole Mall area can look much smaller then it really is. A map is your friend. You are coming at the peak of peak tourist season, so you need to expect everything and everywhere to be 5 times as crowded and expensive. You can still have a good time, just prepare yourself for realistic expectations.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?

The DC Circulator will be extending their Capitol Hill-Navy Yard to the Wharf, which will connect you to and from nearby Metro stations. Stay tuned!

Reply to: Is Wharf area convenient for first-time visitor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted