We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

Columbia, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

I am looking to leave my car for 9 days at either of the overnight parking lots listed on the metro's website: Greenbelt, Huntington, Franconia-Springfield, and Wiehle-Reston East. Is this safe to do?

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from US$13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from US$18.20*
US$24.26
5 replies to this topic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me given those stations are all over the place. I presume you are doing this because it is cheap, but if you drove into the area and were near Wiehle on your itinerary, it is not trivial to drive to/from Greenbelt for no reason, this could add hours to your trip in total. So I guess it depends how much you value your time. Springfield is really out of the way coming from Michigan. I presume you know there is no guarantee you will get one of the multi-day spots, they are every limited in number (about 10 at Greenbelt, the most at Franconia). So if you go to Greenbelt first and don't find one, are you then going to drive out ti Wiehle or down to Franconia, and then to another spot?

It is cheap, sure as it will cost you about $5 a day and nothing on weekends, so maybe you will spend about $30-35? I don't know anything special about doing that for 9 days but have no reason that 9 days is inherently more dangerous than 2 days. I think theft is random and won't depend on that. If you are planning to park your car for 9 days NOT in one of the multiday spots, I'm not sure how risky that is in terms of parking fines, etc, possibly. I don't think they tow cars, but could if they thought it was left there long term (overnight they wouldn't). Maybe someone else knows, as that would save time from driving all over to find (or not) a multinight spot.

I presume you are coming down I270. If it were me, I'd park at the county garage at Silver Spring metro, as it's just a couple miles down of I495, and only costs about $8 a day (free on weekends). And overnight parking is allowed, they have plenty of spaces (and it is covered). I know you would get a space there. These are their rules.

<<Montgomery County allows overnight parking as long as the vehicle is not staying for a long period of time in the same space. Division of Parking is not liable for theft or vandalism that may occur.

Double-check to make sure you park in a long-term parking space (9 to 15 hours). If you park in a short-term space (four hours or less), you may get ticketed.

Make sure you know the hours that require payment. Parking is free on Saturdays, Sundays and county observed holidays .>>

I think long period probably is for abandoned cars, not 9 days. But if you were really worried, you could take a metro trip there one day to move it to another long-term spot. It's really only about 10-15 minutes past Union Stn. These are all the garages around there, Cameron St is closest to the metro station (or NOAA).

https:/…silver-spring-garage-5.html

Columbia, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

Thanks so much for the reply! I haven't updated my location info, but I actually recently moved to Columbia, MD. I am flying out of Reagan National Airport for a trip, but I am looking for a cheaper option to get to the airport and not have to pay $17/day for parking! I live closest to Greenbelt, but I haven't heard the best comments about safety for multi-day parking so I'm willing to drive a bit out of my way to park elsewhere. Thanks so much!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,294 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

Leave the car home. You can Uber to Greenbelt Metro. Or to a MARC station. Dorsey is close if the Camden Line schedule works. You could even taxi or Uber to a Park and Ride in Columbia and catch a commuter bus to DC or Silver Spring. Although I don't know their policies on luggage. (The buses are large enough to have luggage space underneath; I just don't know if they use them) .

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

I park at the Bonifant Street and Dixon Avenue Garage which I believe is the one linked above in response 1. It has parking meters. I don't imagine you can pay for more than one day using that meter, just the max for that day. I think you would have to sign up for the app and pay at the beginning of each day to avoid getting a ticket.

Some Montgomery County garages have parking meters and some are "Pay on Foot" where you get a ticket and then pay on the way out.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety

What day of the week will you be returning to the car?

Reply to: DC Metro Parking Multi-Day Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted