We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
6 posts
Save Topic
Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

We are visiting Washington DC with our two children ages 10 and 8 and want to do a shuttle tour the first morning we are there. Tourmobile is $20/person, Old Town Trolley is $28 and the DC Party Shuttle is $60. What are the main differences between the Tourmobile and the Old Town Trolley? Why is the Trolley more expensive? Is the DC Party Shuttle worth the extra money? Which tour bus do you recommend? Thank you!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

I just got back from a trip to DC with kids (12, 10, 7). We had a great first day with the Old Town Trolley. I had blocked out the morning for it, but we ended up getting on and off it all day. The big difference besides price is where the two tours go. The trolley has two loops. The first goes around the capitol, monuments, and mall area. We did that first and got off at several stops including Arlington Cemetary, where we had to pay extra $$ for the tourmobile of the cemetary. At that point I wasnt so happy with my decision to take the trolley. In the afternoon, we did the second loop up to National Cathedral and down past the vice president's house and embassy row and georgetown (where we got out for an ice cream break). It was very warm out, and we were happy to be able to unroll the windows and get some air. We never had a problem finding space on a trolley, and we never had to wait very long for the next one. I really enjoyed seeing the city in the second loop of the trolley. I did mind the extra expense, but we had a great day. Also the trolley runs a little bit longer hours so that if you decide to get on and off, you can make more of your day.

We timed out the two loops so that we finished the first around lunch time, and got out at the Old Post Office Mall (kids loved), and rode free to the top of the tower. Then saw the presentation at Ford's theater (excellent) and saw Peterson House, before getting back on the trolley for the 2nd loop. The kids were pretty pooped at that point and were happy to just sit and look.

Hope that's helpful.

Seattle, WA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

Thank you so much for your input. I think we will do the Trolley too!

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

To add, the Trolley is driven by licensed professional tour guides. In the tourist season, the Tourmobile narration is conducted by college students reading from scripts. The Shuttle is more expensive because the guide accompanies you the entire time, instead of dropping you off and staying with the vehicle - in other words, you're paying for the guide's time and personalized tour.

4. Re: Washington DC - which tour shuttle is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 05:25