We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Metro

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Using Metro

I have been doing my DC trip planning using the very helpful Metro website but have a few silly questions> When you are actually in the station to catch a train, do the trains have colors, numbers or destinations posted on them or if I get on the blue train, is it just the blue train going east or westbound, lets say???? I have been reading for example: "Blue line toward Franconia Station"...

Also how are transfers handled? Lets say I take the Yellow line to L'Enfant & want to get on a red train...do I pay another fare or how do I get a transfer??? I plan on doing all my traveling by Metro because I hear it is the best but don't want to be overwhelmed by not understanding the way it works!!!

Hope these questions makes sense!!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Metro

Lots of people get confused by the DC metro but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. The trains will have the color on them and the final destination station of the route. There will be signs telling you where the line you are looking at heads too from the station you are at. When you transfer you will just walk to the new train. You only put your metro ticket in when you enter and leave the stations. When you transfer it will be within the same station and you will just need to follow the signs for the red train to whatever direction you want (Looking for that end station). Finding the last station of the route in the direction you want to go is the best for geting around on metro. Say you were taking the orange line west to Foggy Bottom to go to Georgetown from Smitshonian. You want to hop on the Vienna train. There is a chart by where you purchase tickets that tells you the price from station to station. If all else fails just grab a local or the station manager and ask.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Metro

1. The trains themselves don't have colors but their is a sign in the front of the train that will say (Green, Red, Yellow, etc.) And on the side of the train there will be a sign that will tell you in which direction you are going i.e.(Shady Grove, Greenbelt, Huntington, etc.)

Also on the platform where you will be standing, there will be a big sign (actually several big signs) telling you which platform you are standing on with the color coded map.

2.The different color coded maps are just giving you the direction you are going in. There are several stops in between the beginning and end of the station. The "Franconia Springfield" blue line is just telling you that that is the last stop on the Blue Line and then it just makes its way back toward Largo (which is the last stop in the north eastern direction of the blue line)

3. Transferring is just you getting off of one color line and getting on another. There are several transferring stations, i.e. Metro Center (red, blue, and orange lines), Gallery Place chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow) L'Enfant Plaza (Yellow, Green, Orange, and Blue) These are the 3 main transferring points in the downtown area. i.e. If you left on the Federal Center Station on the Blue line and wanted to go to say Union Station, you would get on the Federal Center Train in the Direction of Franconia Springfield and get off at Metro Center then get on the RED Line going toward Shady Grove or Glenmont and get off at Union Station. It's very easy. The Trip Planner on the Metro's website will give you exact directions (walking and all) to your stops.

4.You do not pay another fare when you transfer since you don't have to get out of the station. What happens is when you enter the originating station and you put your card through the reader it won't deduct the money until you come out of the station where you want to go. So if you were leaving L'Enfant Plaza and wanting to get on the red line, you could just get on the Green line train toward Greenbelt or Yellow line toward Huntington at L'Enfant Plaza and get off in 2 stops at Gallery Place Chinatown or get on the Orange or Blue line and go toward Franconia or Vienna and get off at Metro Center.

It is very easy once you kind of look at the Map. On metro's website the transferring stations are the large circles located on the map with the white center (www.wmata.com)

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Metro

Correction on #3 I Said Shady Grove when I meant to Say Silver Spring.There is a big difference so just wanted to clarify that.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Metro

Thank you!!! very helpful!!

Manchester, NH
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Metro

We will be in DC starting on the 25th. We are at Friendship Heights and I will have a toddler in a stroller. How hard is it to get around on the metro with a stroller?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Metro

I see people with strollers on Metro quite often. That said, I wouldn't recommend that you ride Metro during rush hour with a stroller. The trains are packed during that time. So as long as you travel during off-peak hours, you will be fine.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Metro

This may be obvious, but taking the elevator rather than the escalator to enter and exit metro will be easier with your stroller. In Friendship Heights, the metro entrance at Wisconsin & Jennifer Sts. has great, spacious elevators.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Metro

Friendship Heights: There is an elevator at Wisconsin and Jennifer Streets as a previous poster mentioned, and also one on Wisconsin Avenue outside Chevy Chase Pavilion next to Washington Sports Club (on the other side of the glass doors from Cheesecake Factory).

The elevators take you down to the level where you have to use your farecard and then there is a short escalator you have to get on in order to go to the platform. I don't believe there is an elevator all the way to the platform.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Metro

Fresh off our visit to DC last week so here's a tip. When riding the escalators, stay to the right if you're just going to ride down/up. The left side is reserved for people walking down/up. A friend gave us that tip before we left. I don't ride escalators often but DC is the first place where I've seen this convention. Follow those directions and everyone stays happy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Metro

ELPERRO: That is the "un-official rule" for the escalators. You will get hit, pushed, and cursed at if you don't either.

I think everyone just needs to slow down. The faster everyone gets the more they want everyone to get out of their way. And usually the people who get mad at that are the ones that drive like bats out of hell. :-)