We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on towns in VA or MD

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
advice on towns in VA or MD

we're driving down to outer banks, I've already asked about the best route from NJ, now I also need a good place to stop for one night on the way down, we didn't like VA beach, so any other suggestions for Virginia or Maryland? We like small quaint towns. thanks

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

While no longer small, Fredericksburg, VA is a historic town. There is a civil war battlefield nearby, Chancellorsville.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

You might like Cape Charles, Virginia.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

Since you wanted a better route to the Outer Banks, in which direction did you decide to go? If you are coming down the eastern shore then stopping on the other side of the state might not be a good idea. I can help you better if I had that information.

Thanks,

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

thanks sue fee and helene, ....Mrs. Maryland, I think we will take route 13 south through VA on route to Hatteras Island - so that will give you a better idea , thanks for the help.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

-Salisbury, MD

-Princess Anne, MD one of the nice little B&B's would be nice.

-Cape Charles, VA is "quaint"

Check those out.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

Fredericksburg, VA is a great stop.

Every restaurant and most budget hotels are there.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

silverrail, I would recommend Chincoteague, Va (think "Misty" or the pony swim) or the Best Western Sunset in Cape Charles, Va which is less than one mile from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. They have nice two room suites, an outdoor pool and a small outdoor restaurant with a deck next to the bay and local live entertainment.

Steve

PS. We stayed in VA Beach also. Too crowded and too loud!

Save Reply
8. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

Annapolis would probably take you a little out of the way when heading down to OBX. It does not get andy "quainter" than http://www.williampageinn.com/about.htm. William Page Inn.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

Fredericksburg, VA would be out of your way. It's on the I-95 route which wouldn't take you through 13 as you stated you were going.

Oh, I agree with Chincoteague as well (sp)

10. Re: advice on towns in VA or MD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:19