We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel question

indianapolis
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Hotel question

My family will be in DC Oct. 24-29. Deciding between Hampton Inn & Suites, Falls Church or Springhill Suites Alexandria Old Town/SW. Budget of $160-$180 per night. Will have car so would like to stay outside of city for free parking, plan to use Metro while we're there. Need a room with 2 beds and free breakfast is always a nice plus for us. Anything to look out for with either of these hotel options?

Best Seller
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight...
1,560 Reviews
from US$43.00*
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,382 Reviews
from US$13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
338 Reviews
from US$150.00*
8 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Hotel question

Neither location is particularly close to a Metro station. The Hampton Inn is over a mile away from the nearest station, East Falls Church and the SpringHill Suites is almost a mile to the closest station, Eisenhower. The hotels may have shuttles to Metro but it’s so time consuming to wait for a shuttle.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Hotel question

The one in Falls Church is close to one of the worst traffic spots in the region it feels like. The Hilton Garden Inn on Broad Street is actually in the walkable part of Falls Church and sees frequent bus service to Metro. Or the Towne Places Suites right off Lee Highway across the street (kind of) from the actual Falls Church.

There's also an econolodge closer to the East Falls Church station.

US
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Hotel question

I know you want free parking but I'd research options close to the King Street metro Station if considering Old Town. It's a much better location for tourists.While the Embassy Suites has a parking fee, they didn't charge us on our weekend visit so you might inquire about that. Obviously won't help the whole time but could be enough savings to go for it. Check out some hotels like Residence Inn near Arlington Courthouse Metro. Homewood Suites Key Bridge is worth a look too. I wouldn't stay in Falls Church because when we travel. we'd rather not just be in a suburb.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hotel question

Staying that far out is never a great idea, giving you a 40-60 min. commute each way, longer on weekends when Metro trains run less frequently. If you're not limiting yourself to hotels, there are plenty of vacation rental apts. right in the city, very close to Metro, most with free street parking, for as little as $125.00 per night.

If interested, I will post about how to find one.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Hotel question

That Springhill hotel is near Eisenhower metro station, which is 20 minutes to l'Enfant Plaza. East Falls Church metro stn is only about 25 min to the Smithsonian stop. However, there is no metro parking lot/garage at Eisenhower stn and there isn't at King St, either. E Falls Church has over 400 spaces, though, so you could park there reasonably for the day, but I imagine it fills up with commuters early. But if you plan to go out early, maybe that's not a problem. And it's free on weekends and then you won't have that problem about commuters and getting a spot shouldn't be hard (Oct 27-28).

Given that one in Old Town isn't really in Old Town, the area around it is nothing at all, so I'd choose the other one, probably because you can park in the metro lot there.

Now to be honest, I work near there and that hotel is right next to a major thoroughfare (near 7 corners intersection) and you won't be walking to restaurants from it. But there are plenty around, you'll just have to drive for safety reasons. In fact, it's right next to Eden Center which is a major Vietnamese mall with shopping and restaurants. But you aren't far from Falls Church town itself, which has restaurants/bars. It's not exactly a scenic location, however, but I doubt if the other is either.

Both those hotels are just kind of on major thoroughfares so you won't really be doing anything right around the hotel.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,650 posts
659 reviews
6. Re: Hotel question

Stay in DC if visiting DC. Traveling too far out is never a good idea.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Hotel question

Try the Comfort Inn Ballston. It's a little closer walk to metro than the ones you mention and a few decent restaurants close by if you don't want to be in DC for dinner. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Hotel question

Agree with the others. Stay in DC. Much easier.

Reply to: Hotel question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted