We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington dc over 4th of july holiday

new york
Level Contributor
132 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
washington dc over 4th of july holiday

We will be visiting DC from the 3rd through the 6th. I see that it will be very busy time but my sons are dying to see the fireworks over the mall. We were happy to see some good reviews of the Embassy Suites on 22nd street because that is where we have reservations. Does anyone know of anything else that is going on that is not to be missed while we are there? Also looking for some suggestions of good beaches that are on the way back to new york. To go to Cape MAy and wildwood was adding on about 4 hours to our only 5 hour trip. Would love to hear some ideas for a couple of night stay for a nice relaxing beach. Thanks.

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
35 reviews
from US$49.00*
International Spy Museum
197 reviews
from US$21.95*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
3 reviews
from US$115.00*
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington dc over 4th of july holiday

For other things to do, the Washington Nationals are in town playing the Cubs, and tickets are still available. Otherwise, the Smithsonian Folklife Festival will be going on for part of your stay. Check it out at (www.folklife.si.edu/festival/2007/index.html).

For the beach, Cape May and Wildwood (or any other Jersey Shore beach) are going to be the most direct on your way back to NY. If you go to the beach in Maryland or Delaware, you are going to have basically pass Cape May and Wildwood or backtrack to get back to I-95, which wouldn't save you anytime.

dctravel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: washington dc over 4th of july holiday

Here's a useful page re: July 4 activities from DC's official Convention & Tourism Corp

washington.org/summerfreedom/independenceDay…

As for a beach stay en route back home, how about Spring Lake in New Jersey? FABULOUS little town, with a great beach that's nearly 2 miles long, & not terribly far out of your way (f you're going by way of the NJ Turnpike): you'd take Exit 7E off the NJ Turnpike to pick up I-195 which takes you virtually all the way there... usually just about a 45-minute ride from the Turnpike exit.

http://www.springlake.org

I imagine you'd want to pick up the Garden State Parkway (5-6 miles from Spring Lake) to continue the drive towards home.

3. Re: washington dc over 4th of july holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 08:25