We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acala train to NYC

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Acala train to NYC

Do I need to book this or can I just turn up and buy at the station? Are there any codes, I have had a look but cant find any. Thanks for all your help with this trip, I am getting closer to organising it with your help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acala train to NYC

You can buy a ticket at the station, but I would recommend purchasing a ticket through Amtrak's website in advance. The trip between DC and NY is very popular and you never know when tickets will sell out. Here's the website:

Just plug in your travel details and options for the local Amtrak train and the Acela should pop up. Let us know if you have any trouble.

Enjoy your trip - I love the Acela, it's a great way to travel!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acala train to NYC

There are rarely any discounts on the high-speed Acella trains, and never during the busy summer travel season.

Reasons not to wait to buy at the station: (1) the train may be sold out (yes, that can happen) & you can end up waiting longer than you'd like to board the next available train; (2) like most airline tickets, it's cheaper to buy tickets in advance than on the day of departure; the longer you wait, the more you'll pay.

Because they are the newest trains in Amtrak's fleet, the Acellas are quite nice. But they don't offer quite the same time-savings advantage on the DC-NYC run as between DC-Boston or NYC-Boston. Unless 20-30 minutes and more spiffyness matter a great deal to you, travel on the less expensive Regional trains... the savings means you'll have more money to spend in NYC :-)

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acala train to NYC

BTW, not to nitpick but it's spelled Acela. I'm a big fan of the Acela and think it's worth the extra money. One thing I do like--most of the runs offer a quiet car which is very nice! The Acela is newer, faster, less crowded, more comfortable and makes fewer stops than the regional trains. As the others said--make sure you have a reservation.

4. Re: Acala train to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:21
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question