We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

Is there anywhere to store a backback while we tour the Mall? We are starting one day with a visit to the White House which has many restrictions on what can be carried during the visit.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

What most people who tour the White House do is leave their belongings in their hotel room, bringing only IDs and hotel keys. Union Station does have some lockers---www.unionstationdc.com

Kansas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid going back to the hotel to retrieve cameras and water bottles, etc. after the White House visit. Maybe we will just use Union Station's lockers.

VA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

I am curious about how to store a few items during the white house tour. What did your family end up doing? I hate to waste time going back to our hotel. Also, did you use any tour bus companies while you were visiting DC? Thanks!

Purcell, Missouri
Level Contributor
67 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

Wife and I read someplace on this site/forum that the Willard Hotel and bellhop would hold a bag. We went there...WRONG! Also checked the Marriott and they would not hold anything unless you're a guest.

We ended up going in seperately on the tour, while one was inside, the other hung around with the backpack outside.

Go Cats

Wash, DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

Because of security issues, it will be very difficult for you to store a bag anywhere. The suggestion to leave it in your hotel is your best bet.

Nashville, TN
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

There are two places that I know of to leave baggage in DC (besides your hotel):

(1)

Union Station - Left Luggage Check (NO LOCKERS)

Lower Level by Gate A

They are not allowed to give quotes over the phone, however, I was able to get the following rate information:

Small Bags: $2/hr, $10/day

Medium Bags (carry-on size: $4/hr, $20/day

Large Bags: $6/hr, $30/day

(2)

Smitsonian Museums

Lockers and Coatchecks

There are lockers at the Smithsonian Museums. Each locker costs a quarter to activate which is then returned when you retrieve your bags.

Upon calling the Smitsonian Information Center, they told us that the lockers are not very big...high-school style lockers...and would probably only fit small carry-on sized luggage. (If you need to store a lot of stuff, it might be better to bring duffle bags that you can unpack into the locker and then repack when you leave.)

7. Re: Storage lockers available on the Mall or in metro station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 05:15