We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions Best Accessed By Car

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions Best Accessed By Car

I should know the answer to this as a lifelong resident, but I'm drawing a near-total blank. I have friends (family with two teenagers) visiting from out of town for a few days, staying at a Metro-accessible hotel in town so they can see most of the major attractions without a car.

I'm playing tour guide one day with my car, so I want to give them some choices of the major attractions they probably wouldn't get to see without one. The only things that leap into my mind are Mt. Vernon and Udvar-Hazy. What am I overlooking?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

How far would be far enough for you to drive?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

I was initially thinking about things around the Beltway, but I'd stretch it out further to perhaps 45 minutes from downtown. This will be on a Sunday, so traffic isn't a major concern.

Annapolis and Baltimore would be on my list, but they'll be seeing them on their own (as well as Gettysburg) later on their east coast tour, when they're renting their own car. They just won't have a car while they're in DC proper.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

Mt. Vernon and Udvar-Hazy are your big ticket items as well as Manassas battlefields. I'd stick to Udvar though, it is very impressive and w/ teenagers a really good destination where they won't get bored. Go early, the crowds are more manageable!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

Anything you want to see in Old Town? I like the Torpedo Factory and it's fun for a stroll on a nice day.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

I'd second Bal'mer, especially with the two teenagers in tow. The Inner Harbor should keep them busy, with the National Aquarium and rain forest, the paddle boats, perhaps a backstage tour of Camden Yards (or a game if the O's are playing that day), and a tour of a submarine and a World War II Coast Guard cutter. There might even be a tall ship in port that day. Dine outdoors along the harborside and watch the scenery change as the sun goes down. Or take the Water Taxi over to Fells Point and let them sample Bertha's Mussels.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

What about Great Falls Park and Manassas Battlefield? Depending on their interests of course.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

If the teenagers are girls you might want to take them to Tysons Corner or the Leesburg Outlets (both either close to on the way to or from Udvar-Hazy, if they are boys, well, mine don't shop, those you could take to Kings Dominion or someplace like that for the day.

8. Re: Attractions Best Accessed By Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 05:28