We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to RFK with 2 teens

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
269 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Going to RFK with 2 teens

Will be in DC for one day with 2 13 yr old boys to do some "sites" and then take them to a Baseball game at RFK so need a restaurant and hotel suggestion for that evening and then we will be heading home (north) on Wed

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

You should know that there are no hotels or restaurants anywhere near the stadium. So that pretty much opens up the rest of the area for places to eat or sleep.

Given the sports theme of the day and that you'll be touring closer to downtown during the day, I'd do the ESPNZone, then Metro to the game.

As for hotel recommendations--given that you won't be doing any touring the next day, I don't see much reason to pay a premium price to stay at a hotel downtown.

I'd lean towards one close to the Metro and I-95 in the Maryland suburbs. The Greenbelt Marriott fits the bill, and staying there will shorten the trip back to Wilmington considerably, versus choosing from the standard Virginia budget hotel recommendations you'll usually see on this board.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
928 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

I agree the ESPN Zone would be a great place to eat with the boys. Be sure to allow plenty of time. My 11 year old and I tried to eat there three times, only once were they able to set us. The other times they told us it would be a 30 minute wait - even though we could see scores of empty tables around. They did not seem to be using all the sections of the restauarnt when we were there. The host staff just seemed to be too busy to be bothered to working with you - they all had an attitude.

I think if you get there around 4:00 or 4:30 for 7:05 game you should be ok.

You can take the Orange line or Blue line to the Stadium/Armory stop on the Metro. There is a large sign at one end of the Metro to point you in the right direction. Make sure you have purchased your return fare in advance.

If you do want to stay downtown, I can recommend the Holiday Inn Capitol - two blocks from L'Enfant Plaza Metro that is served by the Orange and Blue lines.

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
269 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

Thanks for the quick responses..We are going to a football game Mon nite in Baltimore and heading for DC early Tues morn ,so we do plan on doing tourist things on Wed and then go to the baseball game Tue nite so we might want to consider a hotel near "downtown? or or whereever it works for touring and getting to the game....I am considering using "priceline

Level Contributor
503 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

Look into Harrington Hotel downtown. Very close to the sites and to ESPN Zone (and lots of other restaurants like Hard Rock and two places in the hotel) and Metro (you can hop on blue or orange at Federal Triangle and be at the park in 15 minutes).

NoVa
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

I was just about to recommend the Harrington also. It's not the posh stuff, but it'll fit the budget and it's a block from Metro Center and right in the heart of downtown. One of DC's last family-owned and operated hotels. Clean, safe, and convenient to everything. If you're heading for I-95 north out of town the next day, taking NY Avenue to the Baltimore-Washington Parkway will be a nicer and quicker route. It meets up with I-95 in Baltimore just south of Camden Yards.

6. Re: Going to RFK with 2 teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 20:20