We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yukon, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

We are leaving tomorrow morning for DC and are very excited.

Sunday we are thinking of touring the National Gallery of Art (West Building) and visiting Washington National Cathedral.

We are planning on getting a week pass on the Metro. From the West Building of the art musuem, what is the best way to get to the Cathedral? We will need a recommendation for an inexpensive lunch somewhere by the museum or the Cathedral or inbetween.

Or is Sunday a bad day to visit the cathedral?

If we metro as close as we can to the cathedral, how much should a taxi charge for the rest of the way? Do taxis charge per person or per trip? (There are 4 of us.)

Sunday night we booked the Party Shuttle DC the Lights Tour.

Monday we plan on visiting Air and Space interrupted by a 2:00 tour of the Capitol. We will try to eat lunch in the basement of one of the Capitol buildings. Recommendations?

Tuesday we have to decide if a White House tour at 11:00 am is worth giving up time at one of the Smithsonians?

I have heard the White House tour is not too exciting. Thank you again for your recommendations.

Tuesday afternoon we want to visit Arlington Cemetary by Tourmobile and finish off with the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps Silent Drill. How early should we get to the Cemetary to enjoy it fully? Should we take beach towels to sit on the grass for the Silent Drill? How early should we get there to get a good place to sit?

Wednesday we hope to be at Mt. Vernon near 8 am. We also have an appointment at the Library of Congress at 1:45. Will that rush our visit of Mt. Vernon? What time should we leave Mt. Vernon in order to eat lunch in a basement of Library of Congress? I guess there is a restarant there.

Do you think we are crowding too much into Wednesday? I don't want to pay for Mt. Vernon and then feel rushed into leaving before we are ready. I would rather spend the time at a "free" musuem in the morning if we are too rushed.

I don't know how much time to schedule for transit times on the Metro and then time for lunch.

Thursday we come home!

We are staying at Embassy Suites Downtown if that info helps.

Thank you. Your reviews have helped so much!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

I would walk to the Judiciary Square station which is the redline to go towards the Cathedral.

The www.wmata.com trip planner recommends the redline to Tenleytown and then the 32 bus towards Southern Ave Station if you are interested in taking the metro to the bus. You should get a bus transfer at the station you will be getting on so that you will only pay .32 unless the pass you are getting includes bus fare also. The National Cathedral website also has a recommendation for which bus to take. (www.cathedral.org/cathedral/visit/metro.shtml)

According to the taxi fare calculator, it should cost approximately $9.80 to go from Tenleytown Station to the Cathedral

citizenatlas.dc.gov/atlasapps/taxifare.aspx

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

I hope I can help with this!

From the National Gallery of Art to the Cathedral:

You could take the metro from the Archives tation station to the Tenley Town station. Upon arriving at Tenley Town, hop in a cab to get to the Cathedral. You can use this website to calculate your cab fare:

citizenatlas.dc.gov/atlasapps/taxifare.aspx

If you're comfortable using a city bus, you could also take one of the "30 buses" (also known as the Pennsylvania Ave. line) from the National Gallery to the Cathedral. Get on at the intersection of 7th & Constitution going toward Friendship Heights and exit the bus at the intersection of Wisconsin & Cathedral. If this feels too overwhelming, metro and taxi might be best.

I would highly recommend eating lunch at 2 Amy's, a pizza restaurant near the Cathedral. Many in DC would consider it the best pizza in the city. Here's the site:

http://www.2amyspizza.com/

I'm not sure if Sunday is a bad day to visit the Cathedral - just be aware that they will most likely be having services throughout the day.

Lunch at Capitol Building:

I don't have a recommendation for this one. However, the National Museum of the American Indian has a fabulous cafeteria. It's not too far from the Capitol and could be a nice choice for lunch.

White House Tour:

I would suggest going on the tour, even if many say it is boring. Other tourists on this forum have been disappointed that only public areas are on display, but one has to be realistic - If you were the president and his family, would you want visitors touring your private apartments? ; ) Anyway, I just think the White House tour is a must-do attraction for any first time visitor.

Arlington Cemetery:

I can't help with this, I'm sorry :(

Mount Vernon:

I would suggest spending the majority of one day at Mt. Vernon. There's a lot to see and the experience is not to be diminished by rushing. If I were you, I would see the Library of Congress on Monday with the Air & Space Museum and your Capitol Tour. I don't believe it will take half a day to see either of these attractions. However, others might disagree and hopefully they will post their opinions as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

Sunday afternoon is a great time to visit the cathedral. Generally, Sunday services end at noon, and after that, visitors are free to wander around. In the early afternoon, 12:30-2:30 pm, they offer guided tours, or you can just wander around on your own. At 4 pm, they have evensong service, which you are free to attend. Since it's a service, though, they limit people wandering around during that time. The cathedral has a large and excellent museum shop as well as the Greenhouse (plant shop) and the Herb Cottage (small gift shop). The Bishop's Garden is lovely and shouldn't be missed.

I strongly second the recommendation of Two Amys, but it might be quite crowded. In that immediate area, there's also Cafe Deluxe and Cactus Cantina, both fine if you can't get a table at Two Amys.

I think taking the Metro to Tenleytown, then one of the 30's buses, is your best bet if budget is a prime consideration. If not, I'd just take a cab from downtown. In theory, you can take a 30's bus from downtown to the cathedral, but this can be a painfully slow ride, esp. the part through Georgetown traffic.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

1.) On a Sunday to the Cathedral it's not easy. Mainly because there is no metro stop at or within a reasonable walking distance and buses are very, very, very, slow on Sundays. I would suggest either moving it to Monday or maybe taking metro to Tenleytown (I have actually made this walk from there down to the Cathedral) and catch a cab down or if you see the bus catch it down. Or a taxi if you see one.

2.)There aren't many restaurants within walking distance to the Cathedral but Cactus Cantina is just a little ways up. Decent Tex Mex type place. A little further up there are some fast food places like Chipotle, McDonalds, Popeyes, Armands Pizza and some other little places.

3.) I think you might be pushing it at Mt. Vernon at 8am and trying to get back to the Library of Congress by 1:45. The tour at Mt. Vernon could last 4 hours for some people and then just trying to get back over to DC is a bit much since Metro isn't out there so you would catch a bus and then have to get on Metro. You might want to go to Mt. Vernon on Tuesday. The thing about the White House is that you don't get to see much. If you are into politics and history and like that type of thing it might be good. But I would probably skip it and just take a picture of it from outside.

4.) Metro is fast and convenient for the most part. Do note that during the afternoon the trains run much slower. Usually a train is coming every 8-10 minutes. They may say 6 but every time I get there it's like 9-12 minutes. There is a board that will tell you when the next train is coming. For reassurance if you are staying in the downtown area, dont' worry about giving much time for metro. Most of the sites will probably only 1-2 stops a part. i.e. Smithsonian Station and Metro Center Station and L'Enfant Plaza Station, and Gallery Place Station. These are the most used stops for most sites. Also note the color of the line for each station. Orange, Blue, Yellow, Green, Red. Some have 2,3, and 4.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

Belinda,

we will be arriving on Sunday and are also staying at the Embassy Suites on 22nd. Have a great trip...."see you there!"

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
36 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

The National Gallery is great, and on Sunday I highly recommend a taxi to the cathedral. 2 Amy's is your place for lunch, as others have said, or you could bring a picnic and eat on the beautiful grounds/gardens of the catherdral (one of the best picnic spots in DC).

I would plan on 2 hours at Arlington, if you want to see all the sights. Unless you are absolutely set on the Tourmobile, I would Metro to Arlington Cemetary and see it on foot. You can get a recorded tour at the visitor center.

The Marine Corps Sunset Parade can get crowded. The shuttle from Arlington begins an hour and a half (I think) before the parade begins. You can bring blankets, towels, and even lawn chairs.

I would probably feel a little rushed with your Wednesday Itinerary, but Mount Vernon is worth seeing. Are you taking a tour of the Library of Congress? Perhaps you could substitute a simple visit to the Library rotunda? That would give you time for another Smithsonian Museum.

Also, I would maybe look for some other places to eat besides the "basements" of these various places. There are food courts in the Regan Trade Center and the Post Office Pavillion. Also, Chinatown is not too far from the Capitol area.

Metrorail is pretty quick within the tourist spots in the city, but the busses are considerably slower, but rail goes to the places you want to see, except the cathedral.

Have a great time!

7. Re: questions about proposed itenerary: cathedral, Arlington, ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:24