We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest metro stop to National Archives

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Closest metro stop to National Archives

We are coming to DC Saturday 9/29 for 4 nights. We have reservations for the National Archives at 9:45 on Monday morning 10/1. We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 22nd St., so the closest metro options I see are the blue line at Foggy Bottom. The guidebook says the closest stop to the Archives is Smithsonian, but on the map it looks to me like Federal Triangle is closer... Which would be the closest stop to use?

Also, since we are only there for 3 full days, we would like to do some sightseeing on Saturday after we arrive. Assuming the flight is on time, it lands at 3:00 pm, so we should be able to taxi to the hotel and be ready to go by 4:30 pm. All the "indoor" attractions seem to close by 5:00 or 5:30, so we thought we'd try to do the memorials - Lincoln, Vietnam, etc... But there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get there by Metro, so if we took a cab from the hotel, how much would it be, and more importantly, how easy would it be to get a cab back? How far (in miles, not blocks) is it from the Embassy Suites to that area? And how far is it from the Lincoln Memorial area to the Jefferson memorial and FDR memorial? One last question - if we walked back to the hotel from the Lincoln memorial, would there be any restaurants on the way we could stop and have dinner??? Thanks for your help!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

The closest metro stop to the National Archives is Archives-Navy Memorial Station (on the green and yellow lines). Use www.wmata.com if you want more information on metro.

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

I know that is the closest one on the green/yellow lines, but we have no convenient way of getting to the green/yellow lines from our hotel, so I have to find the closest stop on the BLUE line. Thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

Federal Triangle is probably the best stop for the Archives on the Blue/Orange line.

You could probably walk to the memorials from your hotel, but if you want to save your feet for the return walk, it's probably about 1 to 1.5 miles or so to the closest monuments. I'd probably take a cab to the Jefferson Memorial since it's the most out of the way and then start walking back from there.

For dinner, what price range were you thinking? There are several places around Foggy Bottom for dinner - the places that come to mind that are nice are Kinkead's, Notti Bianchi, Blue Duck Tavern. For something more casual and less expensive, Meiwah is a nice Chinese place. I haven't been there, but Tonic @ Quigley's Pharmacy might work for you. There are a few other chains and very casual places (like Bertucci's pizza and the Burro for tex mex/fast food).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

You can easily walk to Dupont Circle from your hotel, get on the red line, and then transfer to the Green/Yellow at Gallery Place. Metro shows this trip as only taking 12 minutes. (Might be a bit longer depending on connections, but still not a big deal). I don't see this whole "commute" as taking more than 30 minutes or so, counting the time walking from the hotel to Metro.

Or you could just take red line to Gallery Place and walk 3-4 blocks to the Archives.

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

Thanks for the input MopsyDog.... For dinners, nothing too fancy - but a clean, decent meal would be good.. Not fast food, but not fine dining either! We will probably take a cab over and see how tired we are after walking around all the monuments, then decide whether to walk back to the hotel or take a cab. How hard would it be to find a cab around there to go back to the hotel?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

The cab question just came up recently. It was suggested to look for a cab by the Lincoln Memorial on the Constitution Avenue side (north side) vs. the Independence Ave. side (south side).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

"The cab question just came up recently. It was suggested to look for a cab by the Lincoln Memorial on the Constitution Avenue side (north side) vs. the Independence Ave. side (south side)."

I would actually have suggested the opposite - during my summer visits dragging various people around the sites in the past few months, I've consistently seen cabs lined up for fares on the south side of the Lincoln Memorial. (Washington Monument at your back it will be on your left, for the compass- challenged). This is right on the access road to the Memorial, near the kiosk, not on Independence Ave which is slightly further away.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

Sorry, perhaps my post was confusing two things.

1) catch a cab by the Lincoln Memorial (on the access road, as IrishFan suggests)

or

2) catch a cab on Constitution Ave.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

Just to throw another option out there as to which metro stop is best... you can take the Blue to Metro Center and just walk from there. Its only about 5 blocks and it is nice along PA ave.

Just a thought.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Closest metro stop to National Archives

Federal Triangle will definitely work for a blue line stop near the National Archives, just exit and walk a few blocks down Pennsylvania Avenue.

But I'm confused as to why you ask for the closest Blue line station, and not the closest station period. It is easier not to transfer, but in case you don't realize this, transferring lines on metro is as simple as walking up or down some stairs. It's not a big deal.