We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tysons corner area in va

Cleveland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
tysons corner area in va

how close is this to downtown dc? my sister can get me a great priced hotel in the area ($50/night). she says to just drive into dc, pay for parking somewhere, and do our sightseeing by walking around and taking the mass transit.

will it be too much of a hassle?

how long is the drive?

how crazy is the traffic driving in?

any info is appreciated. thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tysons corner area in va

Driving in DC is a very bad idea. Streets are very confusing, drivers are extremely rude and parking is hard to come by. The traffic conditions vary wildly and our rush hour lasts over 8 hours a day. Sometimes it can take 30 minutes to drive to downtown DC from Tysons, other times can take over an hour. Your best option would be to drive to the West Falls Church Metro Station and take the subway into the city, but that's also about 20-30 minute train ride into downtown.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tysons corner area in va

Driving 1 1/2 hours roundtrip, parking at $15-$20.

Not worth it.

Tyson's Corner is sprawl hell.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tysons corner area in va

And if you did decide to park at the West Falls Church Metro station, you would need to be there by 6 a.m. (literally) on a weekday as the parking lots fill up very quickly. If you were to drive to the station on a weekend, you would have no problem parking and the parking would be free then.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tysons corner area in va

i guess the hotel has a shuttle to the metro. i'm assuming it is to the west falls church metro??? so i think we are covered there. but it sounds like it gets crowded during the work week/rush hour.

anyway, as long as we get on that, we are in the clear then? it will take us to downtown dc and we can go wherever right?

we want to see the usual landmarks.....arlington, white house, smithsonian, washington monument, lincoln memorial, natural history museum, etc.

so is there a daily pass for my wife and i to buy for the metro? or will i have to pay for each time we get on the subway?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tysons corner area in va

As long as there a shuttle to the Metro station, your vacation should go smoothly. You can go to all of the major tourist attractions from Metro and not worry about driving. There are a variety of passes available from Metro including a one-day pass, and a seven-day pass. Here is a link to the special passes: http://www.wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tysons corner area in va

I think everyone is just a little too negative. Indeed with a shuttle (likely to Dunn Loring or Vienna) to the Metro you'll be fine.

There is a motel in Vienna that's within (a mile) walking distance from the Vienna metro: the Wolftrap motel, http://www.viennawolftrapmotel.com/ . It's by no means luxurious, but it's clean and it's on Vienna's main strip, which means lots of restaurants within walking distance. I'm curious to know which hotel in Tysons Corner your sister has found for $50 as not even the Wolf Trap Motel is that inexpensive.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tysons corner area in va

in regard to kasaka's question. she can get me discount because she works for marriott. obviously i would like a marriott property in downtown, but she cant get me a discounted room there because they can sell them for a premium. i guess a good analagy is like flying on a buddy pass. you can fly as long as they have a seat available.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tysons corner area in va

If the room is at the Tysons Corner Marriott, you will be almost right across the street from my office. While I agree that driving is not the best option (time, expense in parking), getting to the Metro by shuttle is the way to go. You can't beat the room you will get at that price.